The Sumo Thread

Hakuho is just hanging on at this point until the Tokyo Olympics, where he will perform the Dohyo-iri ring entrance ceremony. He has said as much. Until then, expect mediocre performances and kyujo every other basho or so.

1 Like

(watches day 1)

yup

(watches days 2-5)

Yup

Also, damn. My boy Tochinoshin almost ripped a manā€™s head clean off.

With a yusho thrown into the mix here and there.

Hakuho in decline is still way better than any of these scrubs.

News that will surprise no one:

https://twitter.com/sumofollower/status/1203366858822504454

What is surprising is that Hakuho has been looking forward to performing the dohyo-iri ring entrance ceremony since the Tokyo Olympics. Itā€™s not clear whether this torch duty means he wonā€™t be invited to do the ceremony.

1 Like

Canā€™t he do both?

This thread may be your masterpiece. Is lkioi your gimmick ?

lol is this the Japanese word for the fuckinā€™ diaper they wear?

1 Like

Indeed!

1 Like

Possibly, but itā€™d be anticlimactic and therefore unlikely for him to appear as a torch bearer and then again later for the ring-entrance ceremony.

1 Like

Winning is the only way I can repay the artisan. Ura cotch koci!

1 Like

https://twitter.com/yasielpuig/status/1205677610946056193

First tourney of 2020 starts tomorrow.

This looks to be a transitional year for sumo. Hakuho the GOAT says heā€™s retiring, almost all of the upper-rank guys look like busted-up hot garbage (how is Goeido still an ozeki?), and thereā€™s a crop of young sumobros who look like theyā€™re healthy and ready to make a name for themselves: Asanoyama, my boi Takakeisho, Tamawashi --hell even that wee little upstart lad Enho might go on a tear. Kakuryu has his work cut out for him if he wants to keep being the top dog after Hak leaves.

1 Like

God, Goeido is such a scrub, why did I put him on my fantasy team.

Asanoyama vs Tamawashi was a great match.

Holy fuck, Endo has activated beast mode. Back to back yokozuna wins? When was the last time that ever happened?

I just watched Day 1 highlights, the NHK app on my roku is wayyyy slow to update. Where are you guys watching?

I used to watch on NHK online but lately Iā€™ve been watching NattoSumoā€™s youtube channel, which also includes coverage of juryo matches I donā€™t think Roku is the problem, on my PC I only see Day 1 highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzZ8v5JF3IyxLWOCGKpcP0g

PS: sorry I dropped some spoilers.

no problem with spoilers, I have been peeking at results

that endo-hakuho bout was amazing.

I wonā€™t spoil it but Iā€™m watching day 3 now on NHK app live and itā€™s amazing

(their app is weird, you can watch live at 5:30 eastern but if you miss the show itā€™s not available for streaming for like 12 hours)

NHK is petty great for English-language coverage for people new to sumo. I still go there for review/preview shows and to hear my boy John Gunning give his hot takes.

But lately Iā€™ve been really enjoying NattoSumoā€™s youtube channel. More matches, plus I can watch most of the juryo matches. Only problem is that itā€™s in Japanese and is probably completely illegal and might get shut down.

1 Like