The Stephen King thread

Long Walk and Dead Zone are probably King’s best novels under 400 pages. When you’re ready for the big daddys 11/22/63, It, The Stand and Under the Dome are where its at

3 Likes

King’s strong point has always been his understanding of human nature and social motivations, especially of flawed and downright evil characters. His best books are about that as much as they are about supernatural monsters or whatever the plot is.

6 Likes

I really liked the dead zone but mostly because I have fond memories of the show from my formative years, book is good though

1 Like

Obv. It’s so fucking rich and deep.

As a tower fan, what are your thoughts on WaG?

1 Like

Try again, especially if it was The Gunslinger that turned you off

1 Like

I’ve never tried the series mostly because I don’t really like books that are series, I want that one and done shit, plus I’m not a big fan of fantasy stuff but I do like westerns, I should try it

1 Like

I know Kubrick is a master or whatever but I saw it after reading the book and it just didn’t sit right.

How the eff is this the same person

Original movie quite good too.

1 Like

Totally forgot Geralds Game. Another one to add to the list of best shorties. The degloveing scene is one of my favorite depictions of gore ever, and Flannagan makes it really special in the movie.

1 Like

I would never discourage anyone away from the Tower. Stick with it until the middle of book 2 at the earliest. Book is my 6th favorite of the series, Book 2 is number 2.

Have you tried revisiting? Did you try Doctor Sleep? That was an excellent movie, but it admittedly drew heavily from the Kubrick adaptation.

You can still visit the Overlook hotel in Colorado if you’ve never been. Though I think you need to book a room these days.

I’m mega jealous of you btw, the fact that you’ve read and scene so much.

1 Like

It’s a brilliant movie… and one of my least favorite adaptations. He obviously had no idea what Kings vision was

2 Likes

I’ve never been to Colorado or out west but I’ve already looked at that hotel before and will definitely get there somehow, not just for that connection but also because the hotel/area are amazing as well

1 Like

Apt Pupil is such a mean story. Its incredible

3 Likes

It’s funny how clear of an influence Vertigo is to The Ledge, but man do I love that story.

1 Like

UTD having such a bad ending is so sad. Jim Rennie should be in the pantheon of great King villains with Flagg and Pennywise and hes just always forgotten because the ending is so bad.

2 Likes

30 is nothing. I’m pretty sure I read every published work when I was in high school.

2 Likes

These are good to know. I havent read much published after Mr. Mercedes

https://twitter.com/JPellegrini1983/status/1339555728634359808?s=20

5 Likes