The Stephen King thread

Heh. As you guys know, I listen to IDEOAT, which is a podcast about bad books and they have a long ongoing love/hate relationship with King where they basically like what he does and grew up reading all of his novels but also there are so many goofy tics in his storytelling that they can’t avoid riffing on some of his works.

2 Likes

Eyes of the dragon is low key great. I’ve read probably 30 king novels and still shake my head at the extended universe stuff. He’s got an incredible mind.

3 Likes

Haha man some of his endings just smh. I really loved under the dome man, like it’s a long book and I couldn’t stop reading it, it’s so good, but the ending was not what I had hoped for. I still love the book and should probably read it again but man a good ending and that book is greatness.

Agreed on 11/22/63 having a legit good ending

2 Likes

Agreed!!! This is one of those rare trans-media properties that worked in every form. It’s a great book, a great audiobook, and a great Hulu limited series.

1 Like

That’s a lot!!!

Which ones have you read? Most/least favorites? Any you’ve returned to more than once? Any you’ve always hoped to see adapted?

I love time travel too so king+jfk+time travel, as soon as I saw that as coming soon I couldn’t wait to get my hands on it and it didn’t disappoint

1 Like

I was much younger than 40 and obsessed with finding obscure back roads that could be used as shortcuts if you drove like an absolute madman (or just like a typical late teen/early 20’s male full of far more hormones than common sense).

1 Like

Needful things is probably the one I’ve reread the most, followed by IT. I’d have to pull up the wikipedia to get a full list :joy: maybe when I get home

3 Likes

Did anyone read the institute? That looked good.

I read bag of bones, not memorable really but I enjoyed it. Enjoyed joyland as well

Also ripped through elevation on some holiday weekend a couple years ago, it was a fine little read, nothing special, little bit different than his usual

I tried to read the first Dark Tower book. I feel like the only interesting things were the chapters that were clearly cocaine fueled, written in 20 minutes, and took 45 min to read.

I got 80% through and gave up. I usually hate finish books at that point.

This was the first and only book of his I tried, any suggestion at a better entry point?

From a Buick 8 is a good underappreciated one. I love it when he does the Lovecraft thing.

1 Like

Skip book one. Just skip it. Book two rules. So good. And it summarizes book one at the start as a far more compelling experience than if you’d read the thing.

Also I read revival, it was solid if nothing special. Man this is making me want to read another of his.

Did anyone read outsider? I know hbo had the series but I prefer reading his stuff to seeing a show or movie and if I do one I prefer not to see/read the other.

What kinds of stories do you prefer? He has written pretty much every kind of story.

2 Likes

I’ve read Bag of Bones so many times I lost count. Something about the voice and the intense grief on the page gets me.

I also read misery just in the last year and thoroughly enjoyed it, never seen the movie but I have it downloaded somewhere to watch soon. I’ll watch that because it’s supposed to be good and they can’t fuck up the story really.

I’ve never seen the shining either but read the book. Will rectify that soon too

The only thing I really remember is the fireworks thing but man he can tell a story

1 Like

Probably in the minority here but I think the Kubrick Shining sort of STINKS

2 Likes

Like as an adaptation or as a movie in general?

Not big on horror (I know), but supernatural, fantasy, sci-fi, and historical fiction can work for me. I feel like he has probably played around in a similar world as Slaughterhouse Five at some point. Something in that realm may be appealing.

1 Like