The Sacredest Of Sacred Cows: Getting Coffee During A Pandemic

We would know. They’ve actually done a pretty good job of locking down the facility. Until Killeen, TX (where most of the aides at my wife’s job live) has a major outbreak we’ll probably be spared.

When an assisted living facility gets covid it’s not subtle. It hasn’t happened at my wifes facility yet, and when it does we’ll be quarantining like JT.

Yes give me a second to edit things.

I disagree that it’s 100x worse for healthcare workers. I think the job they’re doing more than balances out the heightened risk, combined with common sense about how freaking unlikely it is that they’re going to give it to a Starbucks worker over a 15 second transaction - something you seem to be incapable of grasping or addressing.

One of the things that’s been a little eye opening during all this for me is realizing that most, if not all, of the basic hygiene stuff we do is aimed at protecting other people instead of ourselves. Like you hear dudes talk about not washing hand after peeing and how they never get sick, but now you know that they’re probably getting other people sick with that behavior.

The second half of this is realizing how many people just don’t care if they get others sick.

1 Like

On one hand there is people wanting to go on the bars and shit, on the other hand there is you. Lighten up, this shit is going to be going on for one to two years. It’s a marathon, not a sprint.

And this forum has a certain atypical perspective, namely that of people who were happy sitting home all day and pissing in Mountain Dew bottles while clicking buttons.

1 Like

I did address it, and you agreed that if we knew the person had COVID the risk is high enough that they’re an asshole for doing it. If you’re a healthcare worker, at this point you need to act as if you’re infected at all times.

1 Like

A quick google search tells me there have been starbucks employees testing positive for covid. I wonder just how much more at risk they are to contract it and how easily they spread it to others.

Let’s be honest, this forum has been on this shit for 3 months and had some of us quarantining before lockdown. How many of you guys can honestly say you haven’t done any takeout/drive-through/delivery food? We have been very very conscious about not doing it and still got curbside from our favorite sushi place once and ordered pizza once. Ive also been to the completely non-essential weed store. Seems like maybe we should cut some slack to the people staring this in the face at work on the reg. We are probably lucky most of them haven’t quit by now.

4 Likes

I just don’t think it’s that fucking hard to not get Starbucks for one or two years in the middle of a pandemic.

Are boredsocial and his wife, who works in an assisted living facility, assholes for getting free coffee for healthcare workers at Starbucks?

• Yes
  • No
  • Bastard

0 voters

Man, if unnecessarily exposing yourself to people and places where lots of other people go and then going to your job around a bunch of super old people isn’t asshole behavior, then I don’t know what is. Let’s just shut it down now.

I’ve had takeout once since this has started and I don’t think I will again. The extra paranoia and being a little more on edge is not worth it. Only going to risk exposure going to the grocery store.

1 Like

I’d guess that there’s a pretty big difference between doing it once or twice a month and 4-5x a week

Do you think it is reasonable to expect front line health care workers to have no human contact at all outside of their place of employment for 2 years?

No, I think it sucks balls, like this whole situation sucks a whole lot. And it’s fucking ridiculous that front line workers don’t really have a choice and can’t just stay home like the rest of us. But I’d also imaging they don’t want to get a bunch of other people sick, right?

I think they probably all care very much about that but what do you expect them to do? Stay at an extended stay america away from all other people outside of their patients for years?

The ultimate slap in the face for the health care workers is the inadequate ppe. I have never once worried about my wife working a 12 hour shift dealing with a TB patient and spreading it bc she had equipment that could keep her and by extension everyone else safe. What makes this situation different is the PPE shitshow that is still ongoing in most places with no signs of stopping. The billions of masks and gowns Donald talks about every day must be in the mail.

And you know what? That isn’t these workers fault. It is the failure of the corporate health care system and our government. Expecting the workers to bear all of the moral responsibility for that failure isn’t fair. Especially considering they are risking their lives every day to help the rest of us.

5 Likes

It’s also very low risk, and that’s a joy in their life for whatever reason. So be it. If you want to make fun of them for liking Starbucks so much then I’m open to that.

I’m also addressing your overall bitterness at seeing other people do low risk stuff while you stew at home.

1 Like

I really don’t have a problem with a nurse who puts her life on the line every fucking day going to get coffee.

7 Likes

It just doesn’t seem too likely that a Starbucks employee handing a nurse or nursing home worker some coffee will spread anything to anyone. They’re set up so you don’t have to hand them cash or a card, right? It’s just doesn’t seem likely at all that they will give the Starbucks worker the virus.

2 Likes

Lol, you can choose all three options. And the pole isn’t public. I award you no credit, and may god have mercy upon your soul.

Pie doesn’t allow public option. Design flaw.

Also it wasn’t clear to me what Single Choice vs. Multiple Choice meant. “Multiple choice tests”, in the common vernacular, don’t always mean you can pick multiple. It means you have multiple to choose from. I assumed single choice was some kind of binary thing where you could only pick from 2. Bad UI/UX leads to confused users.