The Presidency of the Joes, part II: lol documents

Apparently a lot of people have them up before thanksgiving because they pay someone to do it and they get on the schedule whenever they can. Of course, just having them put up doesn’t mean you have to actually turn them on the day after halloween, but they absolutely do it.

For me, Xmas decorating has been a roller coaster of being awesome as a little kid, then kind of a stupid chore as a disaffected teenager, then exciting again when first getting our own place and throughout the years of having our own little ones, and now it’s kind of a hassle again now that we’re down to just one single disaffected teen that doesn’t want to help, and I just wanna fucking relax over Thanksgiving weekend, etc.

1 Like

A key for us is not having a lot of decorations - we buy a tree from the farm down the road, put it up in the living room and let it unfreeze and settle, and then we just wrap it in on set of plain white lights. Done. The point of the tradition is the tradition, I agree that I don’t want a chore like hanging lights outside.

Yeah that’s the part I struggle with. I don’t have Griswold-level stuff going on outside but I do have a set of stuff I like to put out every year and I do get some warm fuzzies coming home to it every night after it’s done.

But of course another side effect of getting older is that the 6-7 weeks the decorations are up feels like about 15 minutes now, and it’s just fucking depressing taking it all down when you feel like you just put it up.

1 Like

Fox probably used all white lights, while Biden used multicolor lights to pander to the woke agenda.

2 Likes

Decorations is one thing but can we at least all agree Xmas music for 6 weeks is a crime against humanity?

2 Likes

Yes, should be longer

10 Likes

Fucking week ago there were Christmas lights up in the mall near me.

I know we don’t have Thanksgiving to symbolize the beginning of Christmas season but man that is too early.

My mother waits until I come home to put up a lot of the lights/decorations lol. Get them a few days before Christmas and take them down before New Year’s.

This might be the most evil thing ever posted here!

There’s like 3 good Christmas songs and one of them is semi-canceled.

And no, none of them are by Michael Buble.

There’s not like actual xtians ITT right?

We have one Elvis Xmas album we listen to that is pretty good. Surely you like Elvis, right?

5 Likes

My wife hates Christmas music.

1 Like

Your wife is a smart woman.

This is the only good Xmas song ever written.

2 Likes

I’m assuming that’s the “semi-canceled” one that Bob was referring to.

1 Like

I think he might mean baby it’s cold outside.

1 Like

That is the semi-canceled one. Won’t stop it from hitting #1 in the UK charts around Christmas for like the 20th year in a row but yeah that was it.

Thought Baby It’s Cold Outside was fully canceled

Speaking of UK Christmas stuff, I see that the John Lewis Christmas commercial came out.

This one is pushing it but

1 Like

I’m still rocking the Mariah Carey Halloween decor, haven’t had time to switch to Mariah Carey Christmas decor.

2 Likes

I think this is my favorite Christmas song. “So I bid you pleasure and I bid you cheer from a heathen and a pagan on the side of the rebel Jesus.” In other words, Jesus was most likely a man and not a god, but a good man and it’s fine to follow his teachings and okay to deify him if that’s what you need to do.