The Presidency of the Joes, part II: lol documents

Yes, I think so. The debt they’ve accumulated so far is in forbearance, but it’s still on the books debt. They would just need to certify their income as less than 125k.

They mad, and she’s lying.

https://twitter.com/amber_athey/status/1562475456393543683?s=21&t=0Fus8gWRXQ3IZsMuVmkE4A

She might not be lying. She might have moved into her parents’ spare condo for example while she was Pulling Herself Up By Her Bootstraps.

The student loan rage is inevitable, American conservatives across the board believe all of their favorable positions in life are from being Self Made and Working Hard and that privilege is made up nonsense that lazy liberals use to explain away their (the liberals’) failures. This delusion sits right at the center of a lot of conservative beliefs, including it’s close partner racism.

5 Likes

It’s like they’re so close to getting it but are just incapable of making the leap to actually having empathy for another person.

“I spent 10 years living in a moldy basement working 2 jobs and only eating rice and beans so that I could pay off my student loans…”

“and that was absolutely miserable and I’m glad others won’t have to go through that” is right there! But instead they go with “herp derp so everyone can do it duh”

7 Likes

my parents couldn’t even afford to have a building named after them!

https://twitter.com/SamAdlerBell/status/1562625291620843521

1 Like

The weird smart kid who didn’t do homework because they were too busy writing a novel (where such person even existed, which would be hardly ever) is 99.99/100 times a) writing an awful, awful novel and b) fucking around and not working hard because he/she knows that he/she is getting a job at their dad’s company right after graduating with a D- average.

3 Likes

Megan McArdle went to Riverdale Country School:

6 Likes

I am once again begging media outlets to hire literally anyone who isn’t like this.

6 Likes

AND HER SELF MADE PARENTS DIDN’T BEG THE COMMUNIST BIDEN GOVERNMENT FOR HANDOUTS TO SEND HER THERE AMIRITE AMIRITE.

2 Likes

It’s certainly normal for parents that send their kids to a $50k/yr private high school to cut off all financial help when they get to college.

Hope she tells us how she paid off her million dollar apartment in only a year!

1 Like

With stick-to-it-edness, duh. Get a brain liberal moran.

Privilege is not recognizing your own.

2 Likes

A bunch of the article is ok, says college is way too expensive, doesn’t necessarily do much for future jobs/income, Americans have it pounded into their heads that you have to go to college, etc.

But then there’s this:

The keystone is our uniquely lenient bankruptcy system. Unlike in most other countries, the typical American can go to court, declare himself insolvent, hand over some remaining assets, default on his remaining debts and return home to a house exempted from the proceedings. This choice is by no means an easy one — his credit score plummets and borrowing becomes more difficult and costly; friends and neighbors are likely to notice, along with anyone who runs a background check in the future; feelings of failure and accompanying shame are common. Thus, while Americans file for bankruptcy far more frequently than Europeans, the occurrence is sufficiently rare that consumer credit remains widely available and affordable. The cost of bankruptcy is low enough to encourage risk taking and ensure that someone who truly needs a fresh start can get one, but high enough that most who can avoid it will do what they can to steer clear.

This is the option that should be available to all student-loan holders.

1 Like

Jfc.

That quote is literally on the edge of disbeleivable, unreal. I am resisting the urge to click on the link to confirm that you didn’t make it up.

1 Like

Oh, it’s real. It’s a really long article, there’s much more to it than that, but that part floored me. Some other stuff is questionable, too, even with some valid points mixed in.

2 Likes

Brandon now needs to pull a Trump and tell everyone that he is strongly considering another $20k deduction in 2024, but only if he still has control of congress.

3 Likes

sickos

8 Likes

https://twitter.com/transscribe/status/1562469646057771009

1 Like