The Presidency of the Joes, part II: lol documents

I believe the general idea is “Once you give a cut to people, its really really hard to revoke it.” Its why republicans spent like 900+ days on Obamacare repeal measures without getting anything done.

1 Like

Ah yes, but that money went to business owners:

Not lazy college students:

5 Likes

Undoing Biden executive orders on day 1 likely won’t be remembered in 2 or 4 years. It might have some chance of increasing the liklihood of a second Biden term though.

As much as I hate Biden he has had a fairly good month or so although the fact we still have kids caged and zero meaningful progress on lots of other important issues is inexcusable and deplorable.

1 Like

The tweet didnt but the studentloans.gov page seemed to imply it. Cant get to it now because of overload but think its upthread

Oh, I am on there now and you’re right it does seem to imply that. Hmm. Ok not quite as good. Still really good though. I do wonder how they could even implement this if you had a mix of undergraduate and graduate loans, all consolidated together.

Edit: The discretionary income raise language however does not reference just undergraduate loans. So even, if it’s just that, it will help people with graduate degrees who are on IBR. 10 percent of your income minus 225 percent of the federal poverty level if you have a graduate degree is not horrible.

I think something like that would be remembered, it’s not some random exec order on some shit no one cares about

FWIW, the Trump administration plan for reconfiguring loan forgiveness (I think it was 12.5% of discetionary income for 20 years for everyone) was actually better then anything Obama put forward. Not that they ever got around to trying to do it.

biz owners pic should have been at a golf clubhouse bar

1 Like

In the past these plans have involved a contractual confirmation. I would hope that is the case here as well!

I mean, sure, and Ivanka Trump was going to make paid family leave. I wouldn’t give Trump credit for the things he says.

Thanks for showing the work for why I thought that rule change was a big deal.

1 Like

Yeah, this part is actually really good. It’s super wonky and they aren’t leading with it, probably out of fear of the GOP response. Hopefully House and Senate candidates can explain it well when they’re campaigning.

Yup, this.

What if the Dems benefit electorally from this? Would they actually learn that doing things to help people also is in their self-interest(which is all that drives 90% of them)?

Not saying that is going to happen, I assume the donor class would never allow it, but it would be wild.

We can talk about how Biden could or should do more, but the question should be about how Biden can be convinced that this is a good first step that needs to be expanded in the future. What sort of reward will create positive reinforcement that we want more of this?

1 Like

The Jubilee is just perfect chef’s kiss material.

kurt is all over the place in the first 4 tweets. he describes William P Clark.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kurteichenwald/status/1562458564584960000

https://mobile.twitter.com/kurteichenwald/status/1562477751575408640

a quick look at the wiki shows that he actually attended stanford and loyola law without completing either. to get into law school he passed entrance exams. that doesn’t exist anymore for good reason, it’s a barrier to many more students than it is a fast track lane for some.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_P._Clark_Jr.

it’s fairly obvious that school administrations and employers both use degrees as an indicator that a person isn’t going to just quit and disappear. and in pure statistical sense, the indicators work. at the end of the day primary/secondary school teaches a person some responsibility, study habits, and learning skills, whereas a good undergrad education would round it out with critical thinking and figure out fit within some subjects. the rest of the capacity to perform as a professional comes from on the job training.

ice-cream-flavors-we-wish-would-come-back

images

DNC needs to triple match all ice cream donations to the Biden campaign.

10 Likes

:coolbiden:

Link to presser.

1 Like

Can’t believe they disabled chat for the livestream.

1 Like