The Presidency of the Joes, part II: lol documents

Ah well that doesn’t seem like something the GOP would abuse if a precedent were set to evade the law through jurisdictional manipulation. Sounds like something that is definitely viable and not simply a fever dream fantasy.

Maybe. Is that you or Chapo talking?

The entire plan is “to evade the law through jurisdictional manipulation”.

Chapo didn’t give the subject much time, presumably because doing so would have been a waste.

As for me, I’m not inclined to fashion legal fictions to evade state criminal law, as should be obvious to me, you, Chapos, and the rest. Passing a federal right to abortion is, unfortunately, the only reasonable way through the mountain here.

To this edit: yes, that is a really bad idea.

Like, once Grover Norquist is appointed head of De Santis’ Treasury he will create federal tax havens in every gated community of some minimum median housing price.

Well, this is a bit different argument from where we started (i.e. lack of staffing and infrastructure). If you object on these grounds, then those considerations are irrelevant. The clinics could already be built with staff ready to work and you would still worry about above because:

Yeah, I mean either way (logistics and practical legality) appear to be clear bars. The discussion started with the former (as Chapo, who presumably knows this a lot better than us who haven’t put much thought into it, ruled it out swiftly), as kind of a thought exercise, but really the latter is dispositive.

Seems like those same pesky prosecutors are likely to get involved:

red-state prosecutors will find ways to prosecute the people involved in abortions on federal lands in their jurisdictions. “In states where abortion is now illegal, women and providers who are not federal employees, as you look at the federal land, could potentially be prosecuted,” White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said this week. “There’s actually dangerous ramifications to doing this.”

I guess the point I was trying to make is that I’m absolutely not sold on the logistics being an insurmountable problem. As far as the legal feasibility, I’ve been skeptical of that from the start (if you look back at the whole discussion from last week, a part of which I linked to, you’ll see that’s the case) and I’m just deferring to the unstuck lawbros who opine on the topic.

There is no point in even discussing logistics if that issue can’t be adequately addressed.

Agreed.

The point of doing something like that (and I don’t necessarily mean abortion on federal lands in particular, but something out of the dirty tricks and loopholes department) wouldn’t necessarily be to have it work very well, it would be to demonstrate to the conservative movement that they can expect pushback on stuff like this and to try to galvanize a political movement against it. It would demonstrate that the Dems actually care. But the problem is, of course, that they largely don’t. Joe is a fucking Catholic, whatever he says he believes about this issue now, he is hardly going to go to the mat over it.

2 Likes

Very critical to elect Dems so they can tell us exactly why Dems being in charge does
shit to make everything better I guess. Then this new jack off has the balls to tell posters to play in traffic.

Every time I read these threads I become more convinced to never vote in a Federal election again.

2 Likes

Do the federal land thing and reserve it for underage victims of sexual assault.

They haven’t even held a vote on abortion rights. They went on vacation and responded by asking the people they’ve failed to send $6 each.

Find a rape victim denied abortion and have Biden ride in and hand her abortion medication personally. See if they have the balls to arrest the POTUS.

The possibilities are endless if they gave a shit and were willing to violate norms, but they don’t and aren’t so here we are.

2 Likes

Holy shit. Joe could personally perform all the abortions. Can indict him. Wow.

There are probably thousands of nutjob prosecutors who fantasize about being the ones to take down Sleepy Joe.

1 Like

https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_votes/vote1172/vote_117_2_00170.htm

One problem with the abortions on federal property thing is that even if, let’s say, it’s legally airtight, and Dems somehow get it going quickly and make it work effectively, it’s just going to become a massive fucking turnout builder for GOP voters in '24 for the prospect of outlawing it federally. Will be a much harder sell to Democratic voters to show up and vote to protect the ‘one weird trick’ thing you’ve slapped together IMO.

1 Like

Also in 2025 the ISIS But With Football Party will turn all the federal property abortion centers into concentration camps, er, I mean Freedom Centers.

1 Like

Is Manchin’s no vote there some kind of procedural move or is he legit to the right of Casey on abortion?

EDIT: Looks like it’s the latter.

1 Like