The Presidency of the Joes, part II: lol documents

eh, that stuff hasn’t improved at all for awhile from the tests people have posted recently out there on the internet.

There’s also going to be a hard resistance to it and it has to basically be perfect or companies get broke from lawsuits and it’s still trying to drive down sidewalks or bike paths at times.

yeah definitely taking the over on 5 years. people have been saying the same thing about automating fast food for the last 20 years.

2 Likes

Even if there were driverless trucks for sale today it would take 5 years to get enough on the road to affect the job market.

Point stands though, even if it’s closer to 20 years it’s gonna get there, there’s too much $$$ in it (for the companies that’ll save the labor) for them not to go all out on perfecting it. And that’s an awful lot of people to whom we’ll be condescendingly suggesting they learn how to code.

by then a fair bit of writing code is gonna be done by AI too

I do hate those learn to code jerks, most people couldn’t do that job even if they tried their hardest.

Either job, coal miner (or whatever) or coder.

Hot take coding for a living is easy and ridiculously lucrative and will only be more desired in the future as gen z doesn’t know how to type on a physical keyboard

3 Likes

This made me imagine trying to even type up a Hello World on an iPhone and made me shudder.

Counterpoint: Gen Z/alpha seems to have this superhuman ability to type like 100wpm and do involved photoediting and about 10 other impossible things on a touchscreen. Only a matter of time before us dinosaurs with our keyboards and mice are the ones being laughed at.

3 Likes

Lol, what? Driverless still can’t handle weather or shitty road maintenance for shit. Tesla is getting sued over Musk’s bullshit overpromising on this. We’re not going to have self-driving interstate trucks in 5 years, or 10 years. Maybe 25.

coding for a living is easy - once you already have a job and experience. getting that experience is the hard part - nobody wants to hire a newbie with zero experience who is going to take 6 months before they are actually useful at their job.

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1471902772803121153?t=oQXLxolxyC6kse9FEGfj8A&s=19

Kool?

Kool!

Any chance you could be more specific?

I hear lots of stories of the coding people who get in on the ground floor of a startup and then make piles of money on options and whatnot. However, I don’t have a very good sense of how well the “normal” coders do.

So, 150-200K right out of undergrad?

Good thing my kid likes coding, I guess. Although I can’t tell if it’s really coding that he likes. He’s six and there are some rudimentary coding games he gets to play on a computer in his once weekly coding class. He might just like it because it’s a screen he gets to stare at.

eh knock maybe 25% off of that if its a non tech/silicon valley company but yeah can get started at 6 figures if you can show some competence.

Also, while those are great starts, can you give me and idea how much time and how difficult it is to climb the ladder? Like how long to get to Principal Engineer at Google or Partner at Microsoft? How much brownnosing does one need to do? Can you make it to the top being a badass coder who is on the spectrum?

Can confirm young kids have no idea how to use a desktop lol. Lol 18-24

1 Like

So, are there a lot of people who have been at FB and Google for like 10-20yrs and just stay at L5/E5 and are good with that?

Do they still get raises even if they don’t make it to L6/E6?