The Presidency of the Joes: more like INFRASTRUCTURE WEAK

Yeah we just had a president who didn’t care about norms, procedures, policies and dotting is.

He could very little of substance accomplished. I think some way overestimate the power of the presidency on most of this stuff.

Honest question. Are you serious or just joking in a Bruce edgelording way?

Ok that is fair and I am not sure I disagree. I am honestly on the fence on this and of course it is easy for me as I wouldn’t have to part of any said revolution.

I do think it is valuable to be clear on this point though because if a persons opinion is revolution is the only way for change then debates over things like Biden’s tweets become purely academic.

:ok_hand:

I’m not really advocating for accelerationism either to be clear. Just fewer half measures in the first place.

1 Like

Seems easy enough to believe.

And this just frustrates me.

There are doctors and hospitals in Canada, Australia, Finland and like three dozen other high HDI countries that don’t have our idiotic health care system.

1 Like

That’s a very shallow argument. Other systems working differently doesn’t change the status quo anywhere else. Country X does it doesn’t change the fact you’re talking about a double digit decrease in reimbursement rates. That would be a massive shock to any industry

Hobbes used to say the same thing about Medicaid reimbursement, but this hospital in a poor area is 95% Medicaid.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-coronavirus-roseland-hospital-chicago-racial-disparity-20200417-ws5n4k2w7nce5hvrvfwjugchci-story.html

That article makes it clear that hospital isn’t financially sound and an article linked within it talks about cuts to obgyn programs. It supports my statement very well.

Finally the discussion isn’t “is it possible for any single hospital to exist on Medicaid”. The discussion is would extremely powerful interest groups allow for their payments to be cut to Medicaid/Medicare levels, and the answer hell no… or at least not without a fight.

1 Like

I like where you’re going but non profit hospitals also have executives and boards. Not sure who you think is going to run the hospital in your model.

It’s pretty clearly a choice between billionaire profits and the actual health and well being of the rest of us.

I’m not a doctor but I am going to guess working in a socialized medicine setting is a lot better than the current status quo. Seeing a doctor do the same thing hillbillies do when they vote against their own interests because they have bought in to the corporate propaganda is wild. Guess what Caffeine, those suits above you making millions or billions off your hard work are stealing from you too.

9 Likes

This was the original sin of the US system. Making healthcare for profit.

5 Likes

This is a profoundly arrogant statement. We’ll skip past my personal situation that makes this argument meaningless to me personally as admittedly this does apply to many other physicians with the move of investment banking into various aspects of medicine. That way we can ignore the bullshit insult comparing me to people that you think are idiots.

Moving to a more basic level, moving to a single payer system modeled after an expansion of the medicare/medicaid system would undoubtedly lead to significant cuts in physician pay. The reason for this is simple, every visit and procedure would result in less money going to the doctor. If you want to talk about direct impacts on physicians, that’s the obvious result.

This isn’t getting into whether or not what you want for health care is right or not. The discussion here is about the palatability of single payer system to physicians, hospitals and insurance companies. While insurance companies opposition is frankly obvious, the physicians and hospitals won’t go for it unless they wouldn’t face massive cuts. That’s what makes their opposition frankly obvious, even if the ACA wasn’t passed.

1 Like

Why do doctor salaries need to be cut? The real problem is the trillions getting sucked out of the system by the ruling class for decades.

You have bought into the propaganda. Period.

4 Likes

They don’t necessarily have to I suppose, but I’ve yet to see a single payer proposal that wouldn’t lead to cuts in physician pay. Admittedly most single payer plans for America are thin on details, but most revolve around paying medicare/medicaid rates.

For ER physicians specifically, who mostly work in private groups separate from the hospital making this profit/non-profit/board members stuff irrelevant, physicians bill for visits and procedures. Visits are classified in levels 1 through 5 paid at a certain rate, with procedures like intubation, central lines, lacerations, sedations, reductions, etc being billed separately. Medicare/Medicaid pay at lower rates for those things generally compared to private insurance companies. That’s why it would cut doctor’s salaries.

I haven’t bought into propaganda, I’m just a lot more informed on these issues on this than you. That stuff literally goes into my paycheck man, we pay attention to that shit. Again, it’s profoundly arrogant to just state that you are simply smarter than doctors when it comes to what they do and how they get paid while comparing them to hillbillies.

And finally, all of that is completely separate from whether or not various single payer systems are a good idea for society at large. You can easily make an argument that it’s a good idea. That doesn’t mean you get to employ magical thinking to upend reality. It won’t help you get anything done either.

To add on it’s perfectly possible to setup a single payer system that pays USA docs just as much. It just isn’t really part of any proposal I’ve seen.

1 Like

I’m not saying I am smarter than you. I’m saying if your main argument is that doctors will take a paycut that seems kind of shallow. There is nothing that says doctors can’t be fairly compensated without the soulless ghouls at the top of the pyramid scheme. Where do you think the board of your hospital and the major owners (whether for profit or not) make their money from? It’s from your labor. You are in the labor class. Not the ownership class. Denying people’s health care because you are afraid to make less money ignores the reality of our current system.

7 Likes

How many BMWs and vacation homes do doctors need before we can have health care?

My wife is a doctor and her and her friends are very uncomfortable with this question. Which tells me that people designing health care systems should probably be asking it more. I realize doctors aren’t the villains in the story but they are a powerful voice in how health care resources are distributed.

12 Likes

I don’t really care what the status quo is. I care whether it’s a good idea or not.

Yeah, it probably would be a massive shock to the industry. I’m much more concerned about the shock of people in a country with an obscene level of wealth dying because they lack stuff that is really basic stuff in dozens of other countries.

2 Likes

BTW, I’m not trying to shit on doctors or anything. This goes for anything else too.

It would upset the status quo if we cut the military budget by a few hundred billion dollars a year. It’s still a good idea.

1 Like