The Presidency of the Joes: more like INFRASTRUCTURE WEAK

Ya that is exactly me. I never read anything. Fuck off. Way to take an interesting respectful debate and turn it into insults.

I wish there was a way to bet on who has read more academic literature. Lol.

Aren’t you saying it is becoming more likely that people disagree HC is a human right?

This seems directly contrary to the previous statement that its becoming “mainstream” to disagree???

Thats, I think i get it now.

I couldn’t find any data on the idea of HC = Right. I found a gallop poll on the role of the Federal government in HC, no real trend over the past 20 year.

Can someone more knowledgeable about political world history explain why the US is dramatically different and behind the times from their peers on things like health care, guns, education, income inequality, etc? Where and why did we detether from the rest of the 1st world who all made obvious beneficial progress in these areas?

I think a lot of people would say it is because of American culture but it feels like something much more insidious to me than that. Almost like corporate/billionaire power became so great over the last century, our politicans so corrupt and the media on both sides blasting us with harmful pro-billionaire propaganda melted too many of our brains or something.

It is very bizarre to live in a country with the largest economy that can’t provide education, health care, housing and the bare minimum to the people who live here. Instead it’s every man for himself while the rich rob us blind. I don’t understand how we ever overcome the current situation.

1 Like

Because we can’t be the best at everything. If we solved those problems,your list would just have different stuff.

Achieving UHC does not require single payer. There are ways to it that preserves a prominent role for insurance companies, like a public option. If we just passed an Obamacare update that included but was not limited to not allowing states to opt out of the Medicaid expansion, that is UHC right there.

Because of race.

That is a very complex question with many answers.

For healthcare the original “sin” was a good faith attempt at solving a war problem by connecting employment and healthcare. No other nation did this. It forever linked corporations to healthcare in a way that didn’t happen elsewhere.

The other huge thing is cultural. Your American Dream leads people to support terrible policy. No other nation has this fake narrative that everyone will be rich.

1 Like

There was a recent episode of Citations Needed that covered this. I think they traced the origins to opposition to UHC attempts in California, which was then used to opposed UHC across the country.

1 Like

Are we the best at anything?

(By “anything” I mean anything at any issue of comparable importance to health care)

Diabetes rates, probably.

You’d be surprised.

that’s just not fair. obama/biden tried but couldn’t push through the public option. is aca working as they hoped? not really, with medicaid exception debacle, scotus and trmp administration fucking with mandates etc.

insurance corps could be evil AND yet they could still be the only instrument to cover more people in the next decade.

i get the frustration of why aren’t there more 65-70% approval ideas moving through. it’s because democrats never win 100% of those 65-70%. like a third of the people who “want” UHC apparently vote for a bush, scott, or desantis. yeah they supposedly support it in theory, but they don’t in reality.

2 Likes

changing peoples minds is hard, even if the people are so obviously wrong. more breaking news at 11.

i mean yeah… and? that’s why it’s done in increments.

Absolutely not. At least not in any meaningful way. You seem to think that’s it’s just insurance companies opposing UHC when it reality it’s the entire health care economy, from hospitals to doctors to insurers. Without the ACA, you just would have more people uninsured.

Edit to expand a bit on this:
There’s a lot of money that goes through private insurers to doctors and hospitals. Public reimbursement rates from Medicaid is generally not thought of as high enough to sustain just about any hospital. Medicare rates are generally closer to break even. Where everyone in the system makes money is through dealing with private insurers.

I’m sure you’ll be able to find smaller sections of people who support a single payer system, but the industry as a whole isn’t going to take a huge hit financially without a fight.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1388860299986489351?s=19

1 Like

Let’s put Maine back into Massachusetts then

11 Likes

Not sure if I qualify as “more knowledgeable about political world history” but for me what often gets missed in this stuff is not recognizing the US and it’s position along it’s own curve of attaining and then losing it’s status as the world’s global power. To me the most recognizable world history pattern that relates to the US is the pattern of outcomes and behaviours one sees from a decaying global empire. Stuff like

is recognizable in the decline of Rome and Great Britain for example. Sure, “billionaires” didn’t exist but there sure as heck were entrenched elites with equivalent power, supported by society wide hubris about their “natural” place a world leaders, followed by decaying corrupt institutions.

4 Likes

You should pretend this isn’t a typo.

1 Like

I am not accepting of that premise.

But I wouldn’t care as I would probably be dead, to be honest.

I am sure some laws would be passed and measures would have been taken. Seems unlikely any of them would have made UHC more likely in 2021.

People are saying incrementalism doesn’t work, where is the evidence letting everything falling apart hoping for a moonshot to save everyone works?

I still think people tend to ignore the MASSIVE resources/forces lined up in opposition to many of these ideas making a home run shot all but impossible.0

Just show me the proven efficacy of this strategy of waiting until something hits absolute rock bottom and then fixing it in one fell swoop. (Then tell me why is that not what Biden is doing with immigration? Kidding)

But I would be on board 100%. I have been pushing UHC forever but I am not for killing people to make it happen, which letting the healthcare system rot for decades does.

Plus why would I believe such a strategy would work quickly? Even if pursued that strategy would likely take at least a decade. How is the timeline any better.

It sucks. The system is beyond repair. The only actual way to accomplish many of these things in less than multiple decades would be a literal armed rebellion.

I push for working inside the system because the results working outside the system are even worse, unless, again, we are taking it to a real extremist point.

The reality is the entire system is kept in perpetual obstruction and inaction by both parties. No president can ever make a significant difference in that. Getting enohhh of a change in congress, in best case scenarios, is goingto take decades.

I am certainly not on board with you who have decided the president saying UHC is a right is a bad thing. That is sons overtime work there.