The Presidency of the Joes: more like INFRASTRUCTURE WEAK

Just keep saying it and it might become true. Just ignore all the data shown in this very thread that you are wrong. Just keep saying it and it might become true.

Advocating for galaxy brained technocratic regressive taxes that disproportionately affect the working commuter class instead of… you know… simply funding the IRS properly to make the obscenely wealthy pay taxes is quite the look for the shitlibs

8 Likes

Nobody has suggested any other solutions other than “tax the rich”. What do you suggest to fund the Highway Trust Fund and to reduce gas usage?

Your point about complicating tax policy is a fair one. As I said I don’t see it as a huge barrier. Just cut everyone under a certain income a cheque every month to counter the tax they paid. Heck add some extra to it to counter some of the regression in gas taxes.

Again, we are starting from the same place. Government needs to massively increase taxes on the rich so let a stop using that as some kind of point in this debate.

What else should government do is what we are debating.

1 Like

Congrats. Literally nobody is doing that. You score one point in the fake argument happening in your head.

1 Like

Hey, I’ve noticed you get frustrated during arguments and then just throw up your hands. For instance, last week you were having a heated argument about race play in sex a poster whose name escapes me. It was an excellent educational argument on both sides. But you got frustrated and stopped.

Psh, chauffeur is an independent contractor, thos are his miles, he’s payin’ not the wealthy.

5 Likes

This.

Taxes on gas (and/or road usage) should not be intended as revenue sources. You soak the rich through income tax, treating capital gains as income, eliminating the death tax exemptions, etc.

Taxes on gas and road usage are for getting people to do better things. But those better things have to actually exist. Pete SHOULD be putting a huge public transit vision out there with massive subsidies (and, even better, some sort of punitive measures for states who “opt out” like they have for medicaid expansion). THEN you tax the shit out of gas.

in the meantime, we should probably look at punitive taxes on shit like $40k+ trucks, especially in cities. Require a CDL for any vehicle over 6ft tall, etc.

6 Likes

you should get your money back

1 Like

Add in either you have to rely on something like self-reporting permitting massive cheating and massive resentment by those who don’t cheat, or onerous government tracking resulting in massive resentment by most people generally.

Just dumb dumb policy by someone who thinks the real world works like a theoretical Econ class… reminds me of myself in my youth.

I suspect pickup trucks are already stealth taxed due to CAFE standards. Companies have to limit the number of trucks they sell to meet their mileage targets, thus they raise prices on trucks and sell hybrids at a loss.

trucks have a different standard to meet and it’s much more lenient.

e.g. Ford essentially doesn’t sell anything BUT trucks anymore, it’s not really bothering them.

the real problem with trucks isn’t even their fuel consumption, it’s that they make cities a much more dangerous place

Because too many people don’t want to debate in good faith. They want to score fake internet points. Look at jwaxes idiot post. He knows it’s bad faith but he got himself one fake internet point.

It’s one line zingers “retorts” and completely ignoring data against their position. It’s not fruitful.

If once in a while someone said “hmm I hadn’t thought of that. You made me rethink my position” I might have hope. A very small number of posters do this (Johnny for example) but it almost never happens.

There is no value in debate is neither side is interested in learning or altering their position no matter what is said or what data is provided.

1 Like

It’s funny that I’ve sort of been backed into the corner as some strong defender of this mileage tax idea. If you go back you’ll see my point wasnt that it was some silver bullet but that the motives of pete were simply being made up because people don’t like him.

I don’t think a mileage tax is some silver bullet but I do think if the regression is addressed it would make it more expensive to drive which should deter driving. The only way to argue that is wrong to argue that sin taxes don’t work. That’s fine, but it’s a whole other argument and given sin taxes have historically been the choosen policy of the left it goes back to my bizzaro comment where people are arguing against progressive policy simply because pete said it.

If we are going to fight climate change we need way way higher taxes on driving. I’m open to debate on how that is done but I’ll go back to my original point. Pete suggesting one such way is hardly some wine cave GOP in disguise trick where he can fuck the poor in favour of the rich.

1 Like

Incrementalism is fine. The phenomenon you’re witnessing and describing is what’s plagued incrementalism always: people use the smokescreen of incrementalism to hide the fact that they really don’t want the desired endgame goal. Like, we have a 10step incrementalism plan but they’re happy with the 2nd or 3rd step, and the cries about being incremental and going slow start ramping around there.

12 Likes

p.s. That still means “incrementalism has been a total failure” is still correct. I’m just fleshing it out some.

2 Likes

I don’t think driving should be subject to a “sin tax”. It’s not cigarettes.

It’s an absolute necessity to function for many places in America.

1 Like

That’s a odd policy choice given climate change. So then you are ok if the millions of Indian and Chinese people just now getting rich enough to buy cars do so?

Why not tax it and spend the money on public transit?

Because the public transit doesn’t exist right now.

Carrot and stick is fine, but this would be all stick with a promise of a carrot some years in the future. Implementing it now would just fuck over the working class.

6 Likes