The Presidency of the Joes: more like INFRASTRUCTURE WEAK

Don’t need too. I’m one of them. I’m just a progressive who wants to advance progressive policy more than I care about dunking on eDems.

1 Like

7 Likes

I’m not so sure. An old friend of mine went out with a journo from The Sun in the 90s (I don’t know what she was thinking of really) and their jobs were to write things to appeal to the readership who they nicknamed the “thickos”.

I’ll just leave these here

http://www.oecd.org/tax/taxes-on-polluting-fuels-are-too-low-to-encourage-a-shift-to-low-carbon-alternatives.htm

1 Like

I drive a taxi

Many other poor people need there vehicles for other earnings outside normal work hours etc, geez if the hidden economy is large here it must be massive in a place you really do need a vehicle.

That affects the poor far more than those surveys that probably don’t account for the hidden well because it’s hidden.

1 Like

As I already said hours ago, there is some regressivness in these taxes that have to be addressed. It wouldn’t be hard to give back the tax to the poor, for example.

Let me ask you this, if the political idea is the poor shouldn’t have to suffer for climate change I assume you favour not holding non-first world nations to climate goals as they didn’t get to have an industrial revolution yet? How about India or China? India has a GDP per capita 1/60th the USA. China’s is 1/6th. Yet as you can see below these two nations produce huge amounts of greenhouse gas.

These are complex policy issues. My entire point is let’s try to think beyond, “idea came from eDem I hate therefore bad”.

1 Like

I don’t hate Pete. And yes, these are complex issues.

And yeah, Pete doesn’t craft income taxes, etc. So maybe he shouldn’t say things like that.

How about when asked how we are going to pay for it, he says something like:
“Well obviously the DOT isn’t in charge of taxes, but we will be working with legislators in congress on this issue the way that other departments do. What we have to do is make sure that the cost of these projects doesn’t burden the middle class and working poor. But these projects are good and we think the cost of not doing them exceeds the cost of doing them, and doing these projects well is my primary focus right now.”

3 Likes

That is almost exactly what he said!

Buttigieg said that while gas taxes have traditionally been part of the way the U.S. pays for the Highway Trust Fund, “we know that it can’t be the answer forever because we’re going to be using less and less gas.”

“If there’s a way to do it that doesn’t increase the burden on the middle class, we can look at it,” Buttigieg said of an increase in gas taxes, “but if we do, we’ve got to recognize that’s still not going to be the long-term answer.”

2 Likes

Your refusal to use actual facts is super annoying. Calling me a liar won’t suddenly change those facts either. You seem perfectly capable of making your point without resorting to simple lies.

1 Like

I don’t give a damn about what an ideal future would look like, the simple fact is that for virtually every American that lives outside of a handful of major cities w/ public transportation (that is shitty even in those cities by global standards) a car is needed to function in daily life. You fucking change that first then maybe a mileage tax kind of makes sense.

You don’t tax people first on a nebulous promise that you will change that you will change their need for a car X years/decades down the road. And just fucking add the cost to the deficit until people have a legitimate alternative to paying your technocratic shitlib tax. Oh, forgot we are dealing w/ “How Ya Gonna Pay for It???” GOPete here.

12 Likes

And?

Don’t people in the suburbs usually drive more?

I’m guessing rural prob does the most driving?

When we say nations what we mean is Multi-national company’s and I’m all for holding them accountable.

What I’m not for that seems to be happening in discussions is directing payment of climate change towards the general public in such a targeted manner and we all know how hard/difficult it is for the general public to claim anything back at all on taxes/grants or other.

What I am for is sticking it to the tax dodging Multi-national company’s who have for years avoided paying taxes in ALL nations by using the loopholes Riverman loves posting.

I’m also for a project that would eliminate gas/petrol vehicles around the world by subsidising the public, give people incentives a lot of people would change tomorrow including me.

And even the mention of tax on gas in the US must be the biggest political loser of all time, no?

2 Likes

Sure but as I posted earlier industry makes up only 22% of GHG. Transportation is larger.

Climate is only solved by nation states, not companies.

:+1:

1 Like

The transportation figure includes airplanes, freight truckers, cruises and a few other things. It says over half is road vehicles (can’t find specific number). Still a large number but I’m guessing the mileage tax won’t be for trains and planes and the other things

I mean the villages is already there, why can’t we tax JB/BG and buy more golf buggy, and those fuckers don’t even realise that there snubbing the gas industry.

Shit, someone’s gonna post that there run on petrol

It’s truly bizarro world stuff to see progressives argue car taxes are shitlib taxes. The green new deal plans for huge gas tax increases. We need massive tax increases on fuel to combat climate change. You all know that. If this was suggested by Bernie or AOC (which it has btw) this wouldn’t be a debate.

This isn’t serious debate. It’s blind hate for pete.

Carry on.

4 Likes

If this was suggested by them and it does not include massive funds being thrown into it + the ways and means to pay for it for poor income earners then their onto a loser too.

3 Likes