The Presidency of the Joes: more like INFRASTRUCTURE WEAK

https://twitter.com/repbonnie/status/1367963544008941571?s=21

https://twitter.com/repbonnie/status/1367963545422467079?s=21

https://twitter.com/repbonnie/status/1367963546500407297?s=21

12 Likes

I am happy they got this done. Sure the democrats democrated it up like crazy, but they still got it through the senate.

I have some doom and gloom thinking that six weeks in we have hit the high watermark for four years, though.

Does anyone here have any legitimate optimism that anything of importance is coming down the road in the next two years? Might be my ignorance speaking, but I havenā€™t a clue. I can name a lot of things that would be great, but I donā€™t think I current it hold a shred of hope for any of them.

At the end of the day, some of the criticism is legitimate. The democrats passed a cash handout, something the republicans already did twice in the last year. The degree of difficulty in this was essentially zero.

the GOP sure convinced their base that HUGE CHANGE was coming, their message was that Biden is the MOST RADICAL LIBRUL OF ALL TIME and they all bought it 100% hook line and sinker

I think progs in the house have a tough decision. If they vote no and send it back then the delay will 100% be on them, everyone will blame them, and I canā€™t see manchin backing down. I donā€™t think he really cares that much if people get relief. Progs certainly care way more than him.

Plus there is a chance the centrists give us an even worse bill for pushing it knowing progs will never not vote for it eventually

I am pretending this is not a possibility because it would be insane.

I canā€™t tell if sheā€™s trolling people living in poverty or just this stupid.

https://twitter.com/kyrstensinema/status/1368320488729178115?s=21

Ya Iā€™m not doing this today with you today but accusing me of retconning as Biden and Co. back off of campaign promise after campaign promise is just fucking hilarious.

1 Like

Sheā€™s grateful, but not that grateful.

1 Like

:cake:

2 Likes

Nearly everyone who posts on this board, including you, is better off than the average American.

So whatā€™s your point?

The rest of them arenā€™t making the points Clovis and caffeIne are.

3 Likes

Itā€™s the fact that the Dems are constantly negotiating with themselves to weaken a much needed covid recovery package

Who needs a minimum wage hike? A simple thank you is good enough.

6 Likes

If the bill passes the House it will an improvement on the status quo. It is t also pretty clear that nothing useful and liberal is padding after and the centrists call the shots. Yeah, we probably knew this anyways, but just frustrating because we know when Republicans get back power because Dems didnā€™t do much Republicans will be ruthless with it.

1 Like

Yep Iā€™m insane thinking both that removing the minimum wage is really bad but itā€™s still kind of good they passed the single largest stimulus bill ever, for any country on earth, that consists of food stamps increases, child tax credits, child care funding, unemployment funding, individual checks, funding for covid relief, for towns and cities who provide the majority of the social services people use and rent relief.

2 Likes

Both sides of this debate are right.

I agree with the progressive wing of the party on almost all policy items and think they have done enormous work over the past 10 years in moving the party to the left. They have basically purged deficit hawks from the party and made it far more tolerant across the board. Further, it would be a mistake for that wing to take a victory lap - there is much work left to be done. Theyā€™re right to highlight the failures, thatā€™s how they will achieve more of their policy goals over time.

That said, take a step back. This is a monster bill, over double the 2009 stimulus (apparently massive ā€œsave the economyā€ bills are just going to be what happens when GOP Presidents leave), and more importantly it is targeted mostly towards actual people in need. When was the last time the federal government shipped $12,000 cash to a family of 4 earning $50,000? Because thatā€™s happening here. Major anti-poverty stuff happening here. And they mostly told Republicans to fuck off.

Iā€™m as pissed as the rest of you the minimum wage isnt going up, check eligibility went down and Cinema is a loser. But this is really fucking good on the range of outcomes.

18 Likes

Also Mitch McConnell is a straight up idiot. All he had to do was ship checks before the GA runoffs. Heā€™s a maniac who ran like god for a while, end of story.

1 Like

I was about to write something like this, but then you did, thanks, back to Top Shot.

3 Likes

To be fair to Mitch I donā€™t think anyone really expected dems to win both. He was hoping to start biden off in a completely dead economy.

And yeah the bill is incredible but not enough.

1 Like

you forgot massive expansion of access to health insurance subsidies I think