The Presidency of the Joes: more like INFRASTRUCTURE WEAK

Not understanding how to “play the game” is not just a disease of democratic leaders. It inflicts the rank and file as well.

1 Like

The problem is with sinema and Manchin everyone needs to stop pretending like they are democrats.

Until then all of this will continue to be painfully embarrassing.

The only could thing about Sinema is when she leaves office I can type “Fin”.

1 Like

By the way I am going against the grain here. I think of the two, getting a surprise vote at some point in the democrats favor is way more likely from sinema. Sinema is crazy. Manchin isn’t even a tiny bit crazy. He is entirely deliberate.

Yes its totally this. Trump “press conferences” were happening all the time.

Yeah. There must be some definition of a “press conference” that we’re missing. Trump was the gabbiest President in our lifetimes when it comes to the media. Biden is much more in step with the norm.

She started in politics as a Green Party Naderite. Of course she is.

This is the difference between a Democrat like Manchin/Sinema and a Republican like Susan Collins:

https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1368081614698348545

2 Likes

Alright but still not clear that ‘spending more money’ is getting us where we want to be? This is just more ‘you should be grateful for whatever the government gives you’ meow chow

A thread, and hopefully some perspective for some of you

https://twitter.com/EricLevitz/status/1368233889823678464

2 Likes

Negotiate yourself down and still don’t get a single R vote.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1368249568031301632?s=19

1 Like

Manchin and Sinema voted yes.

6 Likes

In the end, is the $10.2K of unemployment benefits tax-exempt for all, or is there a phase-out based on income? Having trouble finding the right info.

I think most of us agree a lot of this bill is great and I’m very happy we’re likely to pass it ( fingers crossed )

But honestly we don’t have much wiggle room. If R’s get back a seat of congress in 2022 and we don’t pass HR1 or VRA we’re in huge, huge trouble.

Have you seen the bills Republicans are passing in states like AZ/MI/WI/PA/GA etc? It’s going to be nearly impossible to win in those states, they’re going to disenfranchise millions. Tens of millions maybe.

So thats why we freak out when they aren’t going balls to the wall populist. In a vacuum it’s dope we’re getting this bill at all, way better than we would have gotten otherwise, but these little own goals they’re doing could very well doom us to not having a trifecta again for decades.

Not giving 17 million people stimulus they got under Trump, a constituency we need badly in the 80k-150k range, is really, really bad politics and it could cost us super dearly.

3 Likes

Thank god, I was legit sweating a McCain.

2 Likes

Yeah, this is an awesome, progressive, and largest by $ amount in the history of the country bill. Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good. 3 months ago, before we binked Georgia, a bill like this was unthinkable.

3 Likes

jman/caffeineneeded gonna be having martinis on the deck of the titanic when it’s half underwater

12 Likes

The problem is that y’all are basically creating a circular firing squad because you didn’t get everything you wanted in a bill that you could not have been hopeful for after the November election. This bill is a clear victory for democrats, and should be treated as such.

9 Likes

I am pretty surprised it escaped the senate this quickly. I guess these two are just hardcore grifters who got greased. It’s actually slightly encouraging.

I was a bit surprised when I saw the alerts on passing earlier

2 Likes

The regular bill wasn’t even CLOSE to everything I wanted.

Like I said all that is true, I’m not arguing against that, what I’m saying that even as a victory the chipping away at it and own goals have reduced it to the point where it’s not big enough of a victory to save us.

17+ million people in a super important demographic for voting getting checks under Trump and not Biden is a big problem.