The Presidency of the Joes: more like INFRASTRUCTURE WEAK

WAAF

This is a shockingly bad take.

It makes as much sense as any other reason manchin is going to likely doom democracy

Because he is an old white racist barely democrat who is drunk with his power right now.

Nuking the filibuster gives him more power. He almost certainly believes his own bullshit (most people do), and is motivated to believe that particular brand of bullshit by convenience (he doesn’t want to be the deciding vote on everything).

4 Likes

He may be someone who is giving up power and leverage out of principle. That’s not necessarily a bad thing.

The way the Constitution is written, we are destined to have a two-party system and we are probably screwed if both parties aren’t good faith actors in the political process. This is why I have consistently advocated the need for a constitutional crisis that causes us to throw the Constitution in the trash can and start over. The other option, chosen by the Republicans, is to be willing to act in an unconstitutional manner.

I can understand how either options of throwing the Constitution in the garbage or treating it like garbage are horrific to some people, including someone like Manchin. I don’t agree, but I understand them. If they refuse to do either, they need Republicans to become a functional party within the framework of democracy for the US to be a workable country. And some people will decide that being nice to Republicans is a better strategy for getting them to shift rather than beating them down and forcing them to change if they wish to survive.

1 Like

Probably need three of these in blue states with red senators.

So, how can Ron Johnson, Pat Toomey, and Susan Collins all die in the next year?

The two aren’t incompatible.

WTF does the Constitution have to do with the filibuster?

2 Likes

If the Constitution gets re-written we can expect the derps to be the ones with the quills, not the libs.

3 Likes

So many reasons to hate Barr that I forget a lot of them:

Really good Q, IMO. “Well, we tried, but hey, parliamentary procedure norms!” is a really bad answer.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1366481500804382723?s=21

2 Likes

The real answer if course is that getting appointments for connected friends is a top priority and a modest increase in minimum wage is at best a nice-to-have.

7 Likes

8 Likes

Pfffffttttt…

Biden promised to be more transparent than Trump and release the logs while running but guess he changed his mind and us peasants can’t know who’s wheeling and dealing with the White House.

“Nothing will fundamentally change”

1 Like

One of my favorite communist rappers!

3 Likes

They are treating virtual meetings the same as phone calls rather than as in-person meetings. I think this is partly just a standard application of old person thinking to technology.

The article makes it sound like there actually aren’t virtual visitor logs in the same way that there is a log of all visitors to the White House compiled by the Secret Service (which is being made public).

Yeah I guess it still being covid times has it’s advantages for some