The Presidency of the Joes: more like INFRASTRUCTURE WEAK

I would 100% take minimum wage at my current job over my current wage at a minimum wage job. (don’t tell my boss that plz).

1 Like

This is Lewisburg WV. Selected at random. Just pulled up the real estate site and found a house that sold for exactly $100k.

All-in payment a few hundred per month. I’d be ok a scaled by state if that’s what it takes.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/396-Lightner-Ave-Lewisburg-WV-24901/22454036_zpid/?utm_campaign=iosappmessage&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=txtshare

My take on this is that this is more of a sign of deeper structural problems with the way we organize our society and economy.

My hope would be though that there would be some upward pressure on the wages of this type of worker.

And who knows, maybe there would be fewer crack houses if poor people were less poor.

1 Like

You would likely see some slight upward pressure in adjacent wage ranges but by the time you get up to $25 an hour plus you are not likely to see much movement in the short term and you may even see businesses holding the line on higher wages if they also have minimum wage employees getting a bump.

Over time it will push everything up, but it will take a long time and by then the base minimum wage will be outdated again.

If a business has people making $9 an her/$16 an hr and $25 an hour you see the lowest tier go to $15. Neither of the other tiers will see a $6 an hour bump or anything close to it let alone a similar percentage increase. The middle tier, might go up a few dollars to say $19 or $20 an hour.

Honestly it is going to be different for every business based on what they pay people. There may be some incidents where businesses bump everyone up a similar amount but that would probably be extremely rare.

As for people downshifting to a less stressful career for a lower wage, that might be a great side effect of this. Working a less stressful job and still being able to pay your bills would be a great outcome. That would also cause wages for those more stressful jobs to rise as they become more difficult to fill.

Many have brought this up over and over but with no COL adjustment this is just going to be a dash to sweep this issue under the rug. Ultimately opposition will fold and accept the short term pain in order to set a wage rate that will stagnate for potentially decades.

$15 was always going to already be outdated by the time it was ever executed. That is what makes the whole process so frustrating. If $15 finally does pass it will take some time to implement, how long before anyone is able to seriously try to raise it again? It will be years and years and years.

In 2030 when the minimum wage is still $15 an hour we can reflect back on to how difficult a process it was to even get that done,

4 Likes

In what regard do you quantify stress? If you are talking about the actual job itself, sure there are numerous such jobs.

If you factor in economic anxiety due to income from the job then no.

It just feels like it might already be too late. The whole system is designed to obstruct and slow any attempts at progress or change and it becomes more fortified with each passing day.

I would never advocate giving up, just realizing that it is quite a mountain and quite a boulder.

So many people had a low wage job where they slacked off or didn’t stress at when they were young. So they think they are easy. The reality is twofold: In the vast majority of those settings the adults worked their ass off to get what had to be done accomplished while you fucked off. Or the job was fairly physically taxing and/or soul crushing and young people are a lot more resilient. Some adults are only able to work these type jobs. They are usually not at all easy, full friggin’ stop.

6 Likes

that’s a pretty good amount of storage. and you could do a lot with 4.5 acres.

for me, the optics of starting off someone’s asylum process by essentially making them defend themselves in our legal system is cruel. a better system would start by directing them to an agency that helps. preferably not anything under doj. maybe state, or hhs.

You live in NY. Why is it any of your business whether someone moves from Tujuana to San Diego?

A court date is better than prison. A court date may be better than just letting them alone and not giving them a social security number. Probably not, but maybe. Definitely not if there aren’t widespread raids and asylum isn’t granted for a lot broader reasons.

But, obviously they should be able to walk in and get a job and that should not be cause for the police or courts to do anything bad to anyone.

I just looked at the pictures.

1 Like

yeah. fucking republicans don’t even realize this, but a lot of people are changing their minds about living in cities and want to get out. and frankly lack of jobs is the only thing stopping them from moving during a pandemic. the pull certainly feels very real.

i also think that the population shift affects the new redistricting map in an interesting way.

Jesus Christ this is brutal. Who the fuck is this far? I don’t understand the political win here. What is he hoping Viking hat wearing capital stormers are going to vote for him cause of this heavy dose of the racism?

People need to protest the fuck out of this.

this is a red herring to throw off the public to the true plan which is to deport melania and send top trump traitor officials to guantanamo bay for secret trial and permanent imprisonment. trust the plan. where we go all we go as one. BBB

7 Likes

I did it wrong. All the low-end farm work I did, while physically demanding and grueling, was fairly low stress. Managing production was more stressful, because I was operating expensive equipment, responsible for crops that, if failed, would put my family out of business, and employees who were constantly interacting with dangerous equipment and chemicals. Then I became an attorney and I’ve never been so stressed in my life. This really is a terrible profession.

1 Like

I had a similar experience working on a vineyard - I always attributed lower stress levels to being able to work outdoors.

1 Like

When I worked in family law (so possibly specific to this field), dealing with distressed and angry people was extremely upsetting and draining for me.

2 Likes

It will vary depending on practice area. I don’t litigate, most of the stuff I do is transactional. The most stressful things for me are dealing with other attorneys and dealing with clients. Also the prospect of committing malpractice. And it just fucking sucks to watch these regulatory processes, important environmental planning projects, get train wrecked for the stupidest reasons, like horrible politicians who just want a political win, and to watch pretty awesome scientists and planners just get constantly shit on from all sides even though they do awesome work, but get blamed for everything that goes wrong. Also, the fact that we charge so much for our work stresses me the fuck out. Mainly I don’t have a personality that is compatible with this profession, I think, lol. You really have to not give a fuck about what other people think and have an insane level of self-confidence to be ok long-term, I think.

5 Likes

When I lawyered, I was constantly terrified of slipping up and being sued for malpractice, disbarred and left penniless. Took the ethics rules, etc. very seriously.

If only the MAGA version of Rudy had come along 10 years earlier, I would have realized all that stuff is a joke and saved myself alot of stress.

8 Likes

Maybe the people calling Biden a liar and rolling their eyes at his supposed progressiveness were right; this is who he is.

1 Like