The Presidency of the Joes: more like INFRASTRUCTURE WEAK

$15/hr in WV is equivalent to $43/hr in NYC. Manchin is incapable of understanding that $11 outside of his shithole state is more like $4 to the developed parts of the country.

11 Likes

Isn’t there some sort of compromise with a variable minimum wage based on cost-of-living? I could live with the minimum wage being $11 in West Virginia and $15 in New York City.

2 Likes

I’d be interested in the policy but $30k/yr doesn’t seem unreasonable for full time work in any part of the US.

4 Likes

Would this be any different than having no federal minimum wage and just letting states/counties/cities do what they want?

I’d rather the simplicity of $15/hr everywhere rather than introducing other complications, but if we want to go that route we could use something like GSA’s locality adjustments to government salaries–though they’ve only got a 15% increase going from bumfuck nowhere to NYC, which seems low to me.

https://www.federalpay.org/gs/locality

States and local government wouldn’t be given the option to have an increased minimum wage in their areas.

I’d rather have it the same everywhere, but I would rather be more complicated if it means getting Manchin’s vote for something more than $11/hour across the country.

Don’t know if this is a hot take or not, but exactly zero political capital should be used trying to convince Manchin to change his mind here.

100% of it should be used trying to get him (and others like him) to get rid of the filibuster to get HR1 passed.

2 Likes

What if there is 0% chance of getting him to flip on the filibuster?

1 Like

Yep I like this.

$15 now isn’t even $7.25 in 1992 - and that didn’t tank the US economy. No one should be afraid of $15 even in the poorest parts of the US.

2 Likes

If it’s literally zero, then of course you give up and get what you can.

But really, HR1 is the key to having a chance of not having Joe Manchin types have us by the balls every time the Democrats are in the majority.

uh

before looking it up, guess what % of american workers make $7.25/hour?

15 bucks is low enough that it won’t be making much of a difference. It’s a solid popular political win with little downside. It’s a no brainer

I looked so I won’t say. I did see that 42% or so are making less than $15/hour. That is a huge travesty and will be a ton of money that will all go back into the economy.

1 Like

There is no such thing as a low stress minimum wage job.

8 Likes

Such as?

2 Likes

I worked a bunch of low wage jobs and every one was way harder and more stressful than my current job.

4 Likes

The people that have been there won’t receive a pay raise and they will resent the new hires that are making the same as them or sometimes even more.

Instead of organizing and demanding better wages they will create a toxic work environment towards new people.

2 Likes

What’s wrong with giving them court dates to appear? A lot of them might have viable asylum claims and court dates could actually help get them out from the shadows and able to have a normal life.

What’s worse is that Manchin thinks he is qualified to decide that $11 is okay but $15 is a bridge too far.

I guarantee that there is zero chance Manchin could successfully defend this position under proper questioning.

Manchin is a both-sidsing, middling, compromising bag of crap.

3 Likes