The Presidency of the Joes: more like INFRASTRUCTURE WEAK

Infrastructure week!

https://twitter.com/USDOT/status/1357758421806809089?s=19

5 Likes

Yeah the possible means testing sucks but if you don’t think biden us performing way better than us lefties expected you’re crazy.

The people saying biden doesn’t have an ideology and just goes with what’s popular in the party were correct

5 Likes

Panic! At the Depot

Their first single: Highway Hopes

14 Likes

Pretty bizarre that he’s been a senator since 2006 and had never been in the oval office.

https://twitter.com/AlexThomp/status/1357838157518094336?s=19

This is good. An actually meaningful change in Yemen policy and shows that it was a relatively easy PR sell after all.

3 Likes

Like .5% of Americans could tell you one single thing about Yemen. I don’t even know why PR would be a concern. But agreed, the SA/Yemen moves seem like genuinely good things.

2 Likes

Petey B & Center Line Trolley.

I agree about PR, but got in to a mild disagreement about it here when the designation happened. It would be an easy attack angle for republicans etc.

Just to add a bit to this discussion from yesterday. One good political reason to push through payments for everyone immediately and then tax later (thereby avoiding long discussions about means testing up front) is to avoid headlines like this one when your party controls Congress and the executive.

2 Likes

concur.

2 Likes

No. It fucks over blue states that have high taxes to pay for expansive social welfare programs to help red states that have low taxes and shitty social welfare programs.

8 Likes

The $600 was means-tested too wasn’t it?

1 Like

it was. i did a totally unscientific poll of my household and means-testing is apparently necessary because (paraphrasing) “fuck jeff bezos thats why”

2 Likes

I don’t think this is really accurate. Federal budget money flows on net from richer (generally blue) areas to poorer areas (generally red) due to the progressivity of the income tax and welfare/Medicaid/SS. But state programs are generally not helping residents of other states.

How does blue state welfare spending pay for red state stuff? That doesn’t make sense

You’re telling me my sassy Twitter post wasn’t 100% accurate?

Yeah he framed if badly but red states do get WAY more federal tax dollars, more than they put in, and blue states is the opposite.

So red states can have low taxes because federal money makes them whole.

Don’t know how that’s related to salt deduction though

SALT is an indirect way for the federal government to subsidize blue states that spend more on their safety nets. Ideally the government would directly subsidize states for this spending, but given that will never happen, SALT is the best alternative.

1 Like
7 Likes