The Presidency of Donald J. Trump v5.0: ORANGE Gettin' PEACHed, Nation Goes PEANUT BUTTER & BANANAS

Obviously fake news. David personally assured me Trump was a GeNiUs when it came to geography.

https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1187052343252140035?s=19

4 Likes

This guy:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/sondland-seeks-to-align-himself-with-taylor-after-bombshell-testimony/ar-AAJezvb?li=BBnb7Kz

Do you contest that the DA and the grand jury are investigating conduct that falls within their enforcement jurisdiction?

Cons: I have not conceded it…

Look man, he has to leave some wriggle room for a later lawsuit where DoJ stipulates that both we and the grand jury actually only exist in a simulation running on former bitcoin servers hosted in Guangdong, China.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/amyklobuchar/status/1187073750434537474?s=19

1 Like

The judges repeatedly challenge Consovoy on the claim of absolute immunity. It just doesn’t withstand any scrutiny.

Consovoy argues that the subpoena cannot be allowed because it would open up the president to a near-infinite swell of state prosecutors. The implication, I suppose, is that state DAs would become a partisan enterprise dedicated to constraining the president of the opposition party.

But the judges have a similar response among them.

1. First, Consovoy repeatedly refers to the case against Nixon, but the judges point out that granting the so-called Nixon Tapes did not result in this near-infinite swell of subpoenas and indictment, no? So what is the cause for alarm here?

2. If the argument is that local authorities have no enforcement power over the president–Consovoy argues that is reserved for federal authorities, and even then only after impeachment–the judges are now the ones close to stammering.

What then is the proposed remedy if the president, for example, actually did go to fifth avenue and murder someone? Is a local police officer forbidden from restraining him? What if he continues to present an immediate threat to others? Are we supposed to wait for impeachment?

There clearly is no reasonable argument for asserting the president is beyond the enforcement powers of local and state authorities. While there might be cases in which the president can rightly claim immunity or privilege, the fact that there could be cases where immunity and privilege don’t apply is all the grounds needed for this grand jury’s subpoenas to continue.

1 Like

This managed to fly under the radar from my favorite Trump daily news source:

A federal judge ordered the State Department to release Ukraine-related records within 30 days , including the communication records between Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Giuliani. (CNN)

1 Like

Bit of a mixed message, publishing posts encouraging violence by a poster being banned for encouraging violence though…

1 Like

This seems to be who were the culprits in today’s congressional riots.

Awesome. Thanks for nothing Debbie. I’ll be calling her office to complain when I have the chance.

It continues to infuriate me that the entire legal system is accepting as settled law that a sitting President can’t be criminally indicted or prosecuted.

4 Likes

wait till he pardons himself for all those crimes he can’t be prosecuted over

oh well it’s all legal what can we do

need 2/3rds to kick them out of the house, god damnit

No one has accepted that. The only on point ruling I’m aware of is the district court saying that it is incorrect. The court of appeals will likely agree.

The only contrary authority for the proposition is the nonbinding OLC memo, which Mueller was required to follow as a DOJ employee.

I give it like at best a coin toss that the SCOTUS overturns the DoJ’s memo and says it’s possible to indict the President, and that’s probably generous.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1187132247217856512

2 Likes

Lol Trump commits physical obstruction.

The problem was not a bureaucratic snag, the Ukrainians were told then. To address it, they were advised, they should reach out to Mick Mulvaney, the acting White House chief of staff, according to the interviews and records.

1 Like

I am very worried and have been for some time. It’s getting worse though.

I keep thinking about how everything that happens today would sound if it were written in a history book 50 years from now and like - it just seems bad. Like I think we are in a much worse place as a country than most people are willing to even consider.

8 Likes

Some long-forgotten-probably-dead product of a tier 4 toilet law school wrote a memo back when Sanford & Son was the #1 show on TV, nothing we can do.

5 Likes