The Presidency of Donald J. Trump: Unconstitutional Slop

Why is one dude providing 80% of the cash for the GOP Senate Victory find in June? The world is actually a more interesting place without the conspiracies. Conspiracies mask the genuine comedy and desperation by forcing superficial order onto the chaos.

I said they were all incentivized to be bullish publicly for a variety of reasons, and that as a result the only commentary they could give me that I would pay any attention to at all would be negative IIRC.

Warren Buffett, Ray Dalio, and George Soros at a minimum are very much against him. I think it’s hard to see an angle where Dimons, Solomons, Moynihans etc are pro chaos. These people essentially live in their own personal filter bubbles where they are very much the center of the known universe… Marginal tax rates going up some trivial amount isn’t as big of an event as the Coronavirus being catastrophically mishandled. The Coronavirus being catastrophically mishandled is the kind of event that could pop the asset bubbles they are all profiting from.

Nobody thinks of themselves as a supporting character, especially not any of these ‘titan of wall street’ types. The story is about them all the time if you’re anywhere near them. Donald Trump is a threat that they already extracted maximum value from. Biden (other than Bloomberg) was the candidate most palatable to them on the Democratic side.

1 Like

That’s just one super pac though. What’s the overall picture look like?

I was under the impression these people benefit way more from a crash because they buy up everything at a discount

1 Like

A lot more gets made of this than is actually true. There’s always some consolidation in a recession, but some rich people also lose their seats at the table, and nobody wants that to be them.

It’s also important to note that coronavirus presents a real personal risk to most of these people as well. It’s extremely infectious and they are old. They can go hide somewhere but it’s still a major inconvenience at best, and probably at least one insanely rich person will die from it.

But yes if you want to know who will profit from the next downturn it will be largely rich people. It’s important to note that a lot of the people getting plundered in that scenario are also rich people.

It’s a huge chaotic event basically. If you like how things are it’s not something you’d wish for even if you might win.

Plus it’s hard to not see that Donald is increasing the risk of a true regime change away from something they control. These people are not, by and large, stupid. Some of them are downright brilliant (Buffett and Dalio in particular are pretty scary).

It’s an important PAC, where Mitch (or his proxy) doles out funds to vulnerable GOP senators. Read that New York magazine interview with the fired progressive data analyst. More cash now comes in from the $200 and under people than the big guys. Also, i personally believe that more donors are concerned with idealogical goals than personal enrichment. Adelson mainly wants pro Isreal (as he understands it) policy. (Though it’s not acceptable to say jews buy GOP Isreal policy. Cancel culture?) Elected republicans argue low taxes because it’s helped them get votes for the last 40 years, but they’ve hollowed out the middle class enough that it’s not as popular as it was under Reagan. Many movements eventually die from their own success.

On Chapo today they mentioned that Ilhan Omar’s primary challenger, some complete nobody, has raised 3 million dollars and is having his ads bukkaked all over Minnesota. Recall that one of Omar’s sins was to insinuate that AIPAC donor money was a thumb on the scale of US politics. Anti-semitic!

1 Like

Fun question for the crowd this stuff is supposed to appeal to: the two biggest stock market crashes of the 21st century occurred under _______ administrations. They would insist Democrat, right?

I have a voting question. I’m registered to vote in Florida. I temporarily moved to Tennessee because of the virus. (My rent is cheaper and I don’t need to work) I’m planning to go back to Florida once there’s a vaccine. Can I absentee vote in Florida or do I need to vote in Tennessee? I’d rather vote in Florida if I can.

If some dipshit Minneapolis cop can vote in Florida I don’t see why you can’t.

4 Likes

My boy George has some words about that

"That the vehemence of the culture war is provoked and maintained by conservatives is no accident. For strict father morality to gain and maintain political power, disunity is required. First, there is economic disunity, the two-tier economy with the “unworthy” poor remaining poor and serving the “deserving” rich.

But to stay in power, conservatives need the support of the conservative poor. That is, they need a significant percentage of the poor and middle class to vote against their economic interests and for their individual, social, and religious interests. This means that what appears to be a division among conservatives on the basis of domains of interest actually constitutes strength for conservatism on the whole. Conservatism in all those domains of interest is required for conservatism to reign." >
->P133 Don’t Think of an Elephant by George Lakoff

4 Likes

Meanwhile, in Ohio,

https://twitter.com/whiotv/status/1285566764483579905?s=21

2 Likes

Larry Householder WAS ALREADY BUSTED ONCE AND THEN GOT ELECTED AGAIN

OHIO OHIO OHIO

3 Likes

Sounds like you have more of a claim to vote in Florida than the current press secretary does.

2 Likes

$60 million seems like a lot for state legislature shenanigans, I assumed they could be bought off for like $50k and some football tickets.

4 Likes

Wat, no, no way, this is shocking.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1285552638097084419?s=20

Insiders at

@charliekirk11’s Turning Point have lucrative biz with the charity. & the audit overseeing it isn’t exactly “independent.”

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/waltshaub/status/1285580401864581126?s=20

In case you didn’t hate the guy already

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/1285573932091932673?s=20

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1285587895273902081?s=20

6 Likes

24 points? LMFAO.

2 Likes