The Presidency of Donald J. Trump: Old man yells at cloud, presidential edition.

Including the Laws of Nature.

1 Like

Propublica had an another article over this. So the IRS did decide to gear up and go after some rich people. The rich people complained to Republicans and stalled them out until Republicans were in charge and then Republicans cut the IRS budget, rewrote the rules weighting who they should go after ect.

7 Likes

Nice reference to grimes.

1 Like

NYT is (finally) getting better at this

We mostly bite our tongues in person and turn to petty infighting on our own side, if you hadn’t noticed.

5 Likes

There’s been a lot going on this last week or so, so I thought a brief recap might be in order. Let me know if I missed anything big, and I can edit it in.

Saturday, September 26
Trump announces the nomination of Amy Coney Barrett, an ultra-conservative and zealously religious judge, to fill the Supreme Court seat recently vacated by the death of Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Many cabinet members and prominent Republican members of Congress attend the announcement ceremony at the White House’s Rose Garden. Most choose not to wear masks or practice social distancing.

Sunday, September 27
The number of U.S. fatalities from COVID-19, as reported by Johns Hopkins University, surpasses 200,000.

The New York Times releases data on Trump’s tax returns, which had heretofore been successfully concealed, despite subpoenas from the U.S. Congress and the Manhattan District Attorney. The report reveals that Trump paid no federal income tax for most of the past 15 years, that he paid only $750 in 2016 and 2017, that he has personally guaranteed hundreds of millions of dollars in debt, and that he has almost certainly committed tax fraud.

Tuesday, September 29
Trump travels to Cleveland for the first presidential debate of 2020 against Democratic challenger and former Vice President Joe Biden. At the debate, he continually interrupts his opponent and the moderator, and he rambles incoherently about Fox News and QAnon conspiracy theories. When directly asked to condemn white supremacists, he instead asks the Proud Boys to “stand by.” His performance is widely viewed by the American public as that of an unhinged crackhead.

Wednesday, September 30
Trump travels to Duluth, Minnesota, for a campaign rally where he asks “how the hell” Congresswoman Ilhan Omar “tells us how to run our country” and tells the audience that they “have good genes.”

Thursday, October 1
A recording of the First Lady surfaces, in which she asks “who gives a fuck about Christmas” and other eternal questions. Trump travels to Bedminster, New Jersey, for a fundraiser with mega-donors. Bloomberg News reports that Hope Hicks, senior counselor to Trump, has tested positive for the novel coronavirus. In a telephone interview with Sean Hannity, Trump says he is waiting for the results of his own coronavirus test. Shortly before 1AM, Trump announces on Twitter that he and the First Lady have tested positive for the novel coronavirus.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1311892190680014849

Friday, October 2
Republican Senators Tom Tillis of NC and Mike Lee of UT, both members of the Judiciary Committee, test positive for coronavirus. The White House physician reports that Trump is being treated with an experimental antibody cocktail. Trump travels by helicopter to Walter Reed Medical Center, where he is hospitalized.

Saturday, October 3
Republican Senator Ron Johnson of WI, former NJ Governor Chris Christie, and former Trump administration official Kellyanne Conway test positive for the novel coronavirus. The White House physician gives a press conference at Walter Reed. He states that Trump was first diagnosed 72 hours ago and that Trump is receiving the antiviral drug Remdesivir, but he refuses to say whether Trump has received supplemental oxygen. The physician later reports that his misstated the timeline of Trump’s diagnosis, and that he was first diagnosed on Thursday evening. Chris Christie, an obese asthmatic, hospitalizes himself as a precaution.

Sunday, October 4
At another press conference, the White House physician states that Trump has been treated with oxygen and the steroid dexamethasone but that he could possibly be discharged on Monday. While still positive for coronavirus, Trump rides in a motorcade past supporters outside of Walter Reed. Attorney General Bill Barr, who attended the Barrett nomination event, announces he will quarantine at home.

54 Likes

@BestOf

2 Likes

You can say that again.

Feels like a lifetime since I heard the news that RBG died. It was 16 days ago.

Judging by his covid treatment plan, is it fair to conclude that Trump is not averse to drugs?

1 Like

I said two things, before or around the announcement that he was positive.

And

After he was positive, and some of the things that were bothering me got worse (in my opinion), I made this spicier comment in another thread:

In each of these, I’m explicitly saying there’s a space for some edgelording/humor, and in each of these I’m implying that I think he absolutely deserves whatever he’s going to get out of this.

After a night’s sleep, and again in my judgment, I read some stuff from posters I have a ton of respect for that upset me. So this is what I said when I said I’m not going to be posting on the forum for a while:

And then later I made one more clarificatory? post to smacc

I’m 100% sure nobody wants to read this, which factored into my decision to be brief about it in the first place. But if you’re going to @ me saying I’m Mr. Civility scolding everybody that they’re obligated to hope and pray he has a full and speedy recovery, then I will correct you.

7 Likes

Pretty sure that it is now settled that impeachment is the only way to prosecute a president. I mean, a republican president at least.

With regard to the child sacrifice, Susan Collins is very concerned but isn’t going to comment until she’s heard all the details.

5 Likes

From March:

1 Like

I think I get it now.

Doesn’t this make those jobs less desirable for the workers. How does the agency get the workers to accept the jobs? Pay them more? Offer some sort of insurance product?

Also, I assume this kind of thing would have not been possible pre-Brexit? I’m not even sure where you all are in that process exactly.

Fuck this guy ldo, but I chuckled:

https://mobile.twitter.com/gtconway3d/status/1312727222998966272

10 Likes

Based on what? Because I’ve seen it done quite a few times and it didn’t happen.

2 Likes

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChrisVermilion/status/1312379808559640576

29 Likes

Yeah, I’m curious about this as well.

Also, a hospital isn’t exactly Alcatraz. If someone really wants to leave it’s really not that hard. I think they are to a large extent counting on the fact that some that has a potentially deadly disease would not want to leave against medical advice.

1 Like

I didn’t get that out of it at the time, so apparently I misunderstood and I apologize for misunderstanding then and thus mischaracterizing your position today. It wasn’t intentional.

I think you’re a great poster, even though I think you’re wrong here. I’ve had friends who barely follow politics and are pretty apolitical texting me with express wishes for death for these people. I think it’s a common feeling.

Maybe I’m the only one who misunderstood and I’m just a dummy, but I really thought your position was that we shouldn’t be celebrating it or rooting for worse health outcomes, which to me implied that you weren’t doing that. Sorry for the mischaracterization.

2 Likes

I’m seriously confused. I’ve discharged hundreds of covid patients with active illness. I’ve had a few leave AMA for various reasons too. Anyone in the hospital who has what we call decision making capacity gets to decide if they want to go home, even if they have covid.

1 Like

Yay, we can all be friends now!

For a celebration, can we unban Inso0 and then ban him again?

14 Likes