The Pets of Unstuck

Coin collection

1 Like

Yeah I’ve got a rare penny in there lol

RIP Gabriela, Gaby Gaby Cha Cha, Gabbers, Gabriela Jones

She was the best friend a person could have. After 10 years you really get to know your pet and they really get to know you and at some point they just become a part of your life. The house already feels a lot more empty.

30 Likes

Has anyone else run into this:

Me: “I need more heartworm pills for our dog.”
Vet: “We can’t renew your prescription until we test her for heartworm. $70.”
Me: “?”
Vet: “If we give her heartworm pills and she has heartworm, she could suffer [some bad consequences].”
Me: “How could she have heartworm? We bought 12 pills 12 months ago. From you.”
Vet: “The law says we have to test her.”

This sounds like horseshit to me (the law part) but I haven’t looked in to it.

Problem is the vets around here are so busy that switching vets won’t help. They all seem to have the same racket going, and they’re so busy they don’t care if you leave. In fact we left the last vet b/c (among other things) she wanted to charge us $5 just to send a prescription to Chewy so we could get cheaper pet meds.

They just made our small nervous dog come in person (dogson?) to refill his prozac.

Nope, they are happy to charge me $400 for heartworm and tick medicine.

Ive heard you’re supposed to ask for a prescription from the vet and then take that to a normal drug store and it’s like 1/4 the price. Unsure if that’s just Canada though.

A heartworm test is part of your annual check up so if it has been 12 months you should be getting it anyway?

Also, $5 is nothing compared to the revenue that they lose by doing this so, imo, this is a very trivial complaint.

Yeah, Costco has pet meds at pretty good prices. Never buy direct from the vet. And protip, you dont need a Costco membership to use their pharmacy

I’ve got to get some pro training. I have a 3.5 year old Aussie Shepherd mix. We walk a ton, and she’s friendly to other dogs and people. Never had an issue.

Until this new family moved into the neighborhood. She just inexplicably hates, hates, hates their dog. He’s never done anything to her, he’s fine on his leash, doesn’t growl, lunge.

When my dog sees him - and only him, she acts like Cujo. Lunging at the lead, won’t sit, or listen to me (she usually minds very well). Her entire being becomes trying to get at this dog and murder him. When I grab her collar or shorten the lead to better control her, she’ll turn and snap at me - bit my shorts once. It’s absolutely wild - she has never been like this before, and it’s only this one dog. I can walk her and pass 20 dogs and all she wants to do is sniff butts and play. When dogs are aggressive to her she doesn’t react at all, she keeps heeling and walking. She’s extremely food motivated but when she sees this dog she doesn’t care, only murder is on her mind.

I’ve got to get her to a pro because I’m at a loss. It’s going to be hard to train because I swear, it is this ONE dog and only this one dog. He never did anything to her.

1 Like

My aussie mix was cool with all dogs except Airedale terriers. I had to watch out for them and be ready to leash him up if one showed up at the dog park. He just flew into an immediate rage and went after them. I guess maybe he was traumatized by an Airedale as a puppy or something, but he wasn’t fucking around and he wanted them dead. So bizarre. He was actually the dog that got humped multiples times per visit and didn’t know how to handle it, so one time he had a dog on him and I told him to sit. Extremely effective and the humpers were bewildered by the move. He started sitting on his own after that. Anyway, sounds like we’ve had almost the same experience with the breed. I never figured it out, but you definitely should. I’m very interested to know what a pro tells you.

1 Like

The $5 charge was just the final straw.

I have no problem paying a little more to the local vet. But when it’s a lot more, I should be able to choose without a bunch of hoops. For example, they wouldn’t receive a phone call or fax from Chewy. They made me come pick up a paper copy, which I then had to mail in or fax to Chewy.

Then there was this conversation.
Me: “I want to get Tri Heart Plus from Chewy instead of Heartgard from you. It’s a lot cheaper.”
Vet: “We use Heartgard, we know and trust that product.”
Me: [looks online] “It looks like the same ingredients”
Vet: “We can’t be sure of the source when using Chewy”
Me: “It looks like Merck is the manufacturer. What’s wrong with Merck?”
Vet: “We can’t monitor quality control on Chewy”

Just charge me the $5, whatever, don’t bullshit me like this.

Also I don’t think vets should be in the business of selling medication. It’s a conflict of interest. They make a lot more money every time they put an animal on a drug. And if there are two meds, and one is slightly better, but they only sell the other one, which one will they prescribe? I don’t think this is a trivial concern at all.

Growing up we had a golden retriever who was just an absolutely wonderful dog, as are most goldens. She loved everyone and everything. EXCEPT this one Afghan Hound that lived in our neighborhood. She wanted to fucking kill that dog. She once escaped and got to it and we had to pay two vet bills as a result. I remember her coming home with blood all over (torn ear) and she had absolutely zero regrets.

your Golden may have had a point

1 Like

Sometimes male dogs who are otherwise friendly are reactive to unneutered males.

Some neutered male dogs have hormonal imbalances which makes male dogs especially want to hump them (especially the unneutered) and some females aggressive toward them.

“she’ll turn and snap at me - bit my shorts once.”

This part is a little disconcerting.

Our dog is very dog reactive and has sometimes gone after other dogs in a very Cujo-ish fashion (she is a pit mix* so it is understandable). However when I have grabbed her, thankfully she has never snapped at me even when she was going nuts.

*When we were adopting we didn’t know that “lab/boxer mix” is usually code for “lab/pit mix”

In the few rare instances my dog has gotten aggressive with other dogs, I usually crouch down to her level and get between her and the other dog and try to get her to focus on me. It usually works, and I figure it’s because she realizes that she doesn’t have to protect me/us and that instead I can protect her/us by putting myself between her and the “threat”. These are very rare instances though, and like you all it seems to be pretty random and just centered around certain dogs.

But also she’s not the type to ever bite or snip at me so I can get in her face and feel comfortable about it. Not sure I’d try that if I thought she might take it out on me.

1 Like

Hey everyone this is Ripley. If anyone can provide her with a good home please let me know.

I have a dog aggressive rescue that will probably not accept her (she is averse to other females) but I’m taking care of her for now since the alternative was ignoring her on a 2 foot leash in 100+ degree weather in the neighbor’s backyard.

I know it’s not likely, but if anyone wants her then I will find a way to get her to you.

10 Likes

How did you get her from the neighbors?

We’ve been fostering a dogs this year for the first time and a couple of them came from such terrible situations, really makes me want to snap sometimes. One of them was so scared of any humans you couldn’t walk within 5 feet of her. If we needed to get close we’d sit down and slowly back our way towards her. Anything else and she’d bolt out of reach even if it meant running into a wall or furniture, amazed she didn’t break her neck a few times.

My guess is the neighbor took in the dog knowing they live next to a sucker and it was a freeroll with the tiniest chance an opportunity would arise that they might financially benefit from.

It’s an elderly couple I have a good relationship with.

Believe me, I’m pretty frustrated right now. Having two dogs in separate rooms is not fun. I’m doing everything I can to give the pup good care while not thinking too much about how less than ideal the situation is for their mental health.