The Oscars and Emmys and Golden Globe discussion thread

I agree. I thought that was weird.

Def weird, but “I dare you to throw that fucking fork” is Emmy-worthy comedy.

Finally got around to seeing Nomadland last night and ehhh

Bump

woat opening monologue?

2 Likes

Next year they should really go for it and have nathan fielder host

3 Likes

Koy was brutal. And made it quite a bit worse by implicitly acknowledging that he was bombing and then blaming the writers for it.

2 Likes

I don’t get the problem with that joke, other than it being easy low-hanging fruit. It’s no worse than having 1. T. Swift in your NFL rankings.

If billy crystal said it we’d all still be laughing

I didn’t watch, but it sounds like Jokoy bombed so hard the IDF tried to draft him.

It doesn’t offend me as a Taylor Swift fan. It offends me as a comedian.

1 Like

In terms of the awards themselves: sound choices across the board. Not perfectly in line with every single choice I would have made, but no major points of difference either. I do wish Past Lives had picked up an award just to better secure its place as a rightful Best Picture nominee, but oh well.

Lily Gladstone gave the best speech of the night. Honorable mentions to Ayo Edebiri and Kieran Culkin.

https://x.com/Variety/status/1744222278530035815?s=20

2 Likes

Jesus that monologue was awful. I was going to feel bad for him, then he threw the writers under the bus.

I’ve never heard of that guy before, and certainly have no interest in searching out his material.

Throwing the writers under the bus was indeed the low point and makes him less sympathetic, but I still can’t help feeling a little bad for him. Biggest career opportunity of his life, and it goes up in horrible flames in such a public way? Even the really bad form of making that crack about the writers isn’t enough to keep me from feeling a little bad. I might be going soft in my old age.

Of course, my feeling bad isn’t going to result in me ever voluntarily watching anything this guy does.

I know she won for Poor Things, but I was surprised to see her nominated for The Curse, and no other nominations for it. I didn’t even think it would be eligible til next year.

My radar could be off, but the whole thing just gave me vibes of unpleasantness. “I wrote some of these jokes and those are the ones you’re laughing at”? Who says that?

It’s like when you hear a celebrity get caught on tape using the N-word and you can tell “yeah, this isn’t the only time this guy has said that recently”. I got the same kind of feeling here. It didn’t seem like that was the first time he projected his shortcomings onto others in a dickish and unfair manner.

If this truly was a one-off bad day and he’s even remotely talented as a comedian, he should be able to use this experience for his next set in a humble and self-deprecating way.

Ive never enjoyed any of his stand up.

Yeah I don’t disagree or think it’s a defensible moment at all. I just get in my head about the thought of “what if the whole world saw your embarrassing moment and was spending the day laughing about what a hack you are,” and it’s so horrifying that the person needs to be demonstrated to be an even worse person for me to be unable to feel a little bad for them.

1 Like

Definitely thought The Bear was the funniest show of the year.

1 Like