The Oscars and Emmys and Golden Globe discussion thread

Everything happens so fast but when I first saw RDJ come up I got the impression that he kind of snubbed him too. I am an RDJ fan and have no desire to be mad about anything, that was just my initial perception fwiw

1 Like

I just can’t imagine any reason he’d snub him besides RDJ being an asshole. Maybe I’m giving him too much room. I watched it again and can see it, but I don’t want to believe it was deliberate or even due to an unintentional enmity.

A piece I released a year ago on the 2016 Oscars.

Followed by a deep dive into Chris Rock hosting the 2016 Oscars.

And in other Ke Huy Quan adjacent news, a piece on my sadness when Stephanie Hsu did not win an Oscar.

Oh there’s no way it was deliberate, anyone making that claim is just being an idiot.

Of course, someone can have a rude and thoughtless moment without malice. But no matter what, the whole thing isn’t some big deal.

2 Likes

Read RDJ became the first ever Saturday night live cast member to win an Oscar!

1 Like

Back when no one would touch him with a 10 foot pole, a company I worked at (on a show I worked on) was the first to hire him after he got out of jail.

2 Likes

Without looking it up can you name:

1. The only other main cast member to get two acting Oscar nominations
  2. The two previous movies RDJ was nominated for
  3. The Oscar winning former SNL music director
  4. The cast member who had a Best Supporting Actor nomination before joining SNL
  5. The movie Michael McKean was nominated for

Gotta respect the deep cut references to Batman Returns and Batman & Robin. Plus Emma Stone is there as an oblique reference to Birdman.

1 Like
  1. Joan Cusack?

2. Chaplin and The Judge?

I normally don’t care all that much about the awards but I got a little weepy hearing that Boy and the Heron won. It’s ridiculous that Miyazaki doesn’t have like 10 of these, the man has been making bangers since before I was even born.

Classic anime fans are on a real emotional rollercoaster lately.

Tropic Thunder is definitely one. Chaplin sounds right for the other.

1 Like

Def tropic thunder

https://twitter.com/notgwendalupe/status/1767000405194736032

5 Likes

I have watched I’m Just Ken way too many times

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve watched it a half dozen times.

Don’t want to idolize celebrities or make them out to be more than they are, but Ryan Gosling is up there with Jack Black in the mega elite tier.

2 Likes

Emmy noms released this morning.

Animated series is stacked.

Simpsons
Bob’s Burgers
Scavenger’s Reign
X-Men 97
Blue Eye Samurai

1 Like

Full list

Bear will sweep, Drama categories seem completely up in the air.

Big snub for Purnell

2 Likes

Bump

Guess this is happening Sunday. Shogun and The Bear (season 2) are heavy favorites per the one podcast that reminded me it was even happening

Its the first emmys in a while without a huge legacy production expected to win all the awards.

Weird that The Bear is going to sweep the comedy categories when it absolutely shouldnt be classified there.

Another layer to The Bear thing is season 3 airing relatively recently and being far and away the worst of the bunch. Will be interesting to see if it hurts it at all.