The NHL Thread: It’s Back

I don’t remember who said it, but some analyst said Florida may be rusty in their first game, but it’s in Vegas, and they’re going to be happy with a split there in games 1-2, so sacrificing the first one isn’t a huge deal. I think that’s a good point. I’m expecting a good series.

As a Pens fan should I be thrilled or crushed with the Dubas hiring?

It seems like a tough job in that Malkin, Crosby and Letang are old and there are no good prospects. The team just missed the playoffs and the issues/needs for the team include goaltending, bottom6, one top4 LD, one top6 wing. The top6 was still very good last season. On the other hand, Dubas doesn’t have a Shanahan above him and FSG will let him go top shelf in building out the analytics, health, skills…departments.

Dubas is good. The Pens should just go all in with their available cap space and try to make the playoffs and catch lightning in a bottle in the playoffs. Crosby is still good enough. If their season isn’t going well then trade Guentzel at the deadline.

Arguably the best thing to do is to trade Crosby and Malkin and rebuild, but no one wants to do that.

Pittsburgh hiring Dubas seems fine to me. He’ll be interim GM as well but I wonder who he will eventually end up picking for GM since all the candidates out there are known to be shit.

Going to interesting to see what Pittsburgh can do since they can’t do a proper rebuilt since trading any of Crosby, Malkin or Letang is off the table.

vegas goalie pulled off a save that holtby pulled off against vegas in 2018 final

1 Like

Wow the refs are trying their best to ruin the game with that terrible call with 11 seconds left.

Anyone else has trouble with nhl.com. Its not loading the scores and videos on multiple PCs and mobile devices for me.

Shocking

The Cup’s getting passed around tonight. Not as compelling when the loser gets boatraced in the last game, though.

Get fucked cats

How are things going in Vegas? Kinda cool to see a city get its first ever big 4 championship. It doesnt seem like the kind of place that would turn into a Philly/Vancouver orgy of vandalism. I CAN however, imagine a number of players skipping scheduled tourneys tomorrow.

Tkachuk was reportedly out with a fractured sternum. Can attest it’s an insanely painful injury. Any upper body movement hurts really badly. Pretty amazing he was able to play in Game 4.

Now I can pretend like the stars were better than I thought.

careers so far:
eichel: 2 teams, ~1ppg, lives in vegas, 1 cup
mcdavid: 1 team, ~1.5ppg, lives in edmonton, 0 cups

I was a McDavid fan and I can still be a McDavid fan after his comments about the NHL’s decision to stop pride night warm up jerseys.

2 Likes

How long until we learn about murdered puppies in a basement in his name somewhere?

I’m not a fan of the Avs but I do like the trades they’ve made the last couple of days.
Screenshot 2023-06-28 at 16-52-31 Colorado Avalanche on Twitter

Screenshot 2023-06-28 at 16-51-57 Colorado Avalanche (@Avalanche) _ Twitter

Just a nice couple of moves right there.

1 Like

Vegas with the no loyalty shank of Reilly Smith. tbh I think in a cap league you give up equity by being loyal. I’m just happy that my Pens got him for just a third. At 32 he is a little young for our re-tool, but we’ll have to make do.

It make sense for Pittsburgh, they are committed for to trying to make the playoffs and surprise people with their current roster. Crosby and Malkin are too old for any kind of rebuild, it’s now or never for them to make another Cup run.

1 Like

I agree. And last year the top 2 lines were the best things about the team, so Crosby and Malkin held up their end of the bargain. It was goaltending and especially bottom 6 that sank them. Hopefully Dubas can quickly fix for one or two more kicks at the can with Crosby/Malkin,