The NHL Thread: It’s Back

I hate the devils but not as much as I hate the hurricanes. Real shame Leafs are choking away their best chance is forever. I don’t feel one way or the other about the Panthers, I guess I’m rooting for panthers-devs, may the best red light ligthers win. All in Oilers in the West.

1 Like

Chicago wins the draft lotto.

Must be nice after your dynasty of Toews, Kane and Co is over you get the next generational talent gifted.

Kane will probably want to go back now.

Bedard must be thrilled to get to play for the most evil and toxic organization in the NHL. That they even have the pick at all is a complete failure of leadership in the league office.

2 Likes

Bedard probably doesn’t care. No one’s ever going to blame him for any of that. The gross part is that the mainstream hockey media will rally around Bedard and a New Era In Chicago narrative to put all the unpleasantness in the rear view mirror. For Bedard himself playing in a major US market with a strong hockey following is a good outcome.

Its kind of too bad that he didn’t land in Anaheim. Bedard and Zegras together would have been good for hockey.

I’m glad he didn’t land in Columbus. While it would be fun to see him play with Gaudreau it would be bad for the League to bury an elite star in a minor market.

Oh, I know, I’m just venting wishing that the worst people didn’t always have the best things happen to them.

I feel like I disagree with this. Getting more eyes on more small market teams sounds like it would be a good thing for the league, especially long term. Imagine a bunch of young fans in NY or LA walking around with Columbus jerseys on.

That’s a fair point but I am guessing that he is more likely to develop a national following playing in a major market. Casual hockey fans barely see McDavid for example. Part of that is that he’s boring but if he was, for example, carrying LA deep into the playoffs each year then I think he’d be better known.

seeing people with hockey jerseys in LA, good one

Finally the NHL rewards a well run, great owned, long suffering NHL franchise in the lottery. So many NHL fans are in tears.

1 Like

download.jpeg-8

2 Likes

Meier to make up for the missed goal and extend it.

Burns to end it

Shitty way to end that one. Devils only penalty all game is a lift over the glass.

Ugh

Nothing to cry about for the Devils this season. This was my post in October.

They proved me wrong and more. Great season and knocked out the Rangers. Aside from the cup there isnt a better outcome than they got.

2 Likes

Just read this today, The Devils went the entire season, including the playoffs, without being shutout once. The Leafs are in the same boat if they dont get eliminated via shutout.

Pretty cool stat

It will be an interesting off season for NJ. They have a lot of free agents. They are in good shape - their long term deals for Hughes and Hischier are good. The Hamilton and Palat contracts might not age well but should be fine for at least another couple of seasons. Mercer is still on his ELC and ready for a full time top 6 role, Luke Hughes in still on his ELC and should probably play protected minutes next season (think offensive zone starts and PP time). Vanecek and Schmid for a combined $4.2M next year is very good.

A lot of big decisions to make though. Tatar, Wood, and Haula are all UFAs. I would be reluctant to spend much on any of them, so that’s a lot of forward spots to fill. Bratt is an RFA but I assume the break the bank for him. Graves and Severson are both UFAs - good players, but again not people I would really want to commit a lot of years and $s to.

Isnt it a great time for golf? glad the leafs could make it.

That was 100% interference on Gudas on the OT winner