The NFL Thread 2: 1. T Swift

I think with almost every starting NFL QB, if you are really tuned in to them and/or that team, you can get a pretty good idea what type of person they are off the field. But even serious fans, unless you are following that guy pretty closely, you probably just get the normal highlights.

I’m sure the signs have been there for a long time if you were really looking for them.

That’s what I’m asking, as a more casual fan, what were those signs?

I’ve always been a big fan of this exchange.

Jennings: He’s sensitive. So you got to be careful what you say around him.

Matthews: Real sensitive.

Jennings: You know, he takes everything to heart.

Pelley: What kind of things are you talking about?

Jennings: Like once he sees this interview, he’s going to be sensitive to what, the fact that we’re saying he’s sensitive.

Matthews: Yeah. So, I’ll compliment him on the clothes he wears. Just make him feel good. And consequently he’ll go out, feel good, play good, make us feel good. So, we just, you know, give him a pat on the back every once in a while.

Pelley: A little quarterback management?

Both: Absolutely.

I mean honestly, if anything I was predisposed to liking Rodgers, because I loved that GB finally just kicked the phoniest and most unlikable good ol’ boy in the world, Brett Favre, to the curb in favor of Rodgers. And my first reaction to that sequence was, “Good, I hope Rodgers shows out and they really jam it up Favre’s ass.” But once Rodgers got enough spotlight, it quickly became “aww fuck, this one’s super unlikable too.”

New incident, let’s go, void the contract

https://x.com/profootballtalk/status/1833234778944164195?s=46&t=XGja5BtSraUljl_WWUrIUg

1 Like

Hot (but not really) take - almost all star QBs are horrible POS. Some (Brady, Manning) are just better at hiding it by being charming and having good PR teams. I’m not sure Rodgers is even in the top half in terms of how terrible he is (which is a low bar you can probably meet just by not sexually assaulting anyone)

I’m sensing growth in the anti-anti-Rodgers energy.

I don’t disagree that there probably aren’t a ton of great people playing starting QB though.

How do you rise through the ranks of America’s ridiculous love of sports as the number 1 guy and not end up a horrible person? QBs are treated as gods starting in High School. I’m surprised they all aren’t under investigation.

1 Like

I always liked Rodgers - he was my favorite player for quite a while - until he got pissy about Jordan Love being drafted and all the COVID stuff.

It seemed like he was generally a decent, friendly guy, and from what I could tell, his teammates liked him. I believe he was generally a good teammate and leader (generally - I think a couple former WRs didn’t love him). But he always had that legendary chip on his shoulder, that he would never forget a slight. The ESPN types loved it because it showed how competitive he was and that it drove him and all that shit. But it was a sign that he was at least a bit of a dick, even if we didn’t realize it.

He has also always had “smartest guy in the room syndrome,” but it came off as a positive because it made him one of the GOAT quarterbacks and a good teacher with the young guys. It’s still pretty fascinating listening to him dissect plays.

And overall, I bet he’s a solid hang if you can stay away from certain topics.

But the chip on his shoulder and smartest guy in the room stuff combined to get ugly during COVID and the shitty side of Rodgers really came out. Does his own research, thinks everyone else is stupid, thinks everyone is against him, won’t answer simple questions like what happened to his toe because he thinks he’s so clever and we’re all sheep, etc. He just spiraled off the deep end.

Man, it’s going to be rough to see what Jordan Love is like when he’s traded to the Jets in 2036.

I should add, I’m certainly not a “shut up and dribble” guy. I’m all for athletes being real people and having opinions. It’s just that Rodgers’ opinions have been so insane and he’s so fucking hostile about everything now. Just chill, man. Vaccines are ok.

1 Like

Let’s get this conversation back on track: I hope he disintegrates like a thousand-year-old rubber band on the first drive tonight.

3 Likes

I am not a shut up and dribble guy but after listening to Brady yesterday I certainly get it

2 Likes

Yeah being the most popular guy in high school and college will break you.

https://twitter.com/AndySlater/status/1833273674033463799

1 Like

Ponch and Jon keeping the streets of Miami safe from rich atheletes driving to work.

1 Like

Saw a video on tiktok yesterday where a lady got pulled over by police. She was following her sister, who pulled over to wait on her. When a second office showed up they went ham on her too for refusing to leave the scene.

Leave it to the cops to make Tyreek fucking Hill look like a sympathetic figure.

8 Likes

Pretty sure 32-19 is scorigami.

3 Likes

https://x.com/NFL_Scorigami/status/1833342170679345545

i find this amazing since I used to score 19 all the time in Tecmo Bowl

1 Like