The NFL Thread 2: 1. T Swift

So either Kirk is not recovering from the achilles or the Atlanta GM is the dumbest person to ever run a franchise. What a face melter

I didn’t look into the draft that much, but Cousins is old and only a slightly above average QB.

Penix was injury prone, but one of the top statistical passers in the country.

Kurt Warner called Penix the best pure passer in the draft and Kurt Warner is probably the best follow for QB breakdowns when it comes to ability to read a defense and throw timing.

I don’t hate it on the surface.

Sure but then don’t give him 50 million a year for the next 4 years. Thats the big bone head move. If you’re taking a rookie QB high up to be your starter you get the luxury of paying them way below market value for 3-4 years so you can build out the team around them. Now they’re paying like 60 million per year to QBs.

I also don’t believe Penix is very good but no one really knows how to evaulate QBs so we’ll just have to wait and see there.

3 Likes

Lions did the same thing two years ago. But at least it was a third and not 8

It’s a bad pick when you look at the roster. The could have picked any defensive player. You get #1 defense. Any one

And you pick a 3rd round qb at 8 when you just signed cousins to basically 4-200

Its Jets level bad.

Come on, the consensus was Penix was like late first early second round value.

I would still criticize but could see a point for ATL taking a flyer on a QB if Drake Maye or Jayden Daniels fell to them, but it was BOTH a reach and at a position where there isn’t a need after they committed their financial future to another guy.

They could have taken any defensive player in the draft or Odunze, who was maybe only WR3 this year but also maybe WR5 of the last 5 years combined. It’s not like the board broke badly and there wasn’t a good value pick at a position of need they could have taken instead of Penix.

Right and it’s not like Penix fell to them. He was always going to bet there at 8, so if they loved him that much it wasn’t like they would have been risking being left with no QB if they passed on Cousins.

1 Like

This. There was a 100% chance Pennix would be there when they picked. Either they weren’t planning on drafting Pennix when they backed up the truck for Kirk and then just freaked out and abandoned their plan or someone pushed the wrong button and won’t admit it. Literally nothing else makes sense.

I heard the Rams were trying to trade up at 8 to get Bowers and they just stood pat and took lol Penix anyway. Like if you’re gonna do dumb shit and take him trade back to 19 and pick up some extra capital and he’ll probably still be there for you anyway. Otoh maybe they’re gonna do a pioneering offense with a bunch of 2 QB sets.

i really wish we could get audio of the GM explaining it to arthur blank. like, there’s no way he didn’t sign off (or even push for it?) on drafting a qb right?

i always assumed the owner knew who his team is picking at least in the first round.

Somebody explain the Caleb hype. He just looks like Bryce Young with a stronger arm to me and probably a worse decision maker. At least half of his reel is plays against PAC defenses that are turnovers or crushing sacks in the NFL.

1 Like

As a sentimental bears fan who was born in chicago and later turned my back on them,Williams has to be a bust right? No way the bears break a lifetime of qb futility. Seems improbable.

1 Like

It was funny listening to Belichick break down the tape on these QBs as they were drafted. “He makes a nice throw there. He could be a nice player.” And of course those are all first read home run plays to dudes who are ten yards open. Then they pull up the NFL comparable plays and he’s saying things like “You gotta get rid of the ball there. That’s the most open you’ll ever get in the NFL,” and “I don’t know what he’s looking at but the correct read here was wide open, and he breaks the pocket early and gets away with a play that’s a 12-yard loss in the NFL.” He didn’t seem to be impressed with any of them for the same reason why most of them fail.

https://twitter.com/PatMcAfeeShow/status/1783651335658688907

https://twitter.com/ESPNNFL/status/1783657810254868855

1 Like

It’s a 2 year contract unless Penix is a bust. There’s nothing extra guaranteed in the last two years, so the only cap charge if cut is the $12.5M/yr signing bonus. Considering how important quarterbacks are, it’s not a bad idea to have a backup plan.

1 Like

Yeah. Draft one two years from now. Not at 8 when you have so many really good players on the board

As a lions fan. I thank Atlanta. Then taking penix turned everyone dumb for a few picks and teams were falling all over the makes to draft trash QB in the top 12 allowing real players to fall to 25

Sure - but if you are signing an old expensive QB in an attempt to compete now, it seems odd to also be drafting your QB of the future with a high pick. It might make sense if you’re a perennial competitor who is taking a long-term view for the franchise, but when you’re a flailing team like Atlanta, you need to decide if you’re playing for now or the future.

Penix such a baffling pick given how close they are to being good on paper. Clear need for WR1 on offense. Clear need for an edge on defense but could even go corner. Basically a layup to have an A grade 1st round with Odunze and every defensive player on the board.

2 Likes

Here’s an example of what I was talking about:

https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/1783699760689389836

1 Like

GMs obsolete soon.

Try to force it to pick someone.

Ravens casually showing off their whole draft board in the middle of the draft