The NFL Thread 2: 1. T Swift

St. Louis Chiefs would be even better.

3 Likes

True. I didn’t think of that. He might even be forced to cut ties then.

1 Like

Ka Kaw!

https://twitter.com/matthewluciow92/status/1772066064953684339

5 Likes

Next up

Flag football

1 Like

Exciting moments ahead: “We bring in Gene Steratore now… Gene, was there a swivel and an unweighting here?”

1 Like

Rugby banned hip drop tackles, so presumably the NFL will have that body of work to draw from.

But wait, the career shortening injuries help keep payroll expenses down. Who will think of the star quarterbacks and owners forced to live with only 99.5% as much money as the more expendable players have careers a season or two longer and command incrementally higher wages?

Player payroll is essentially fixed at a % of league revenue per the CBA, so any gain in salary for an individual player is coming from other players and not the owner’s pocket.

It already is flag football, just the yellow variety. Now we have more fun ways for the only people on the field that NOBODY paid to see exert their egos on the outcome of games.

1 Like

I’m generally not against change, but [old man yelling at cloud] it sure feels like more and more I’m watching a completely different game.

Honestly with kickoffs, I’m willing to try anything. Seeing literally ~80% of them sail out of the EZ (and like half the short ones fair caught for the same result) was not good football. And I really hated the other plan they had floated for a while, which was just skipping the KO entirely unless a team wanted/needed to onside kick.

The big thing was really just getting rid of the huge running start and high-speed collisions on blocks, and this takes care of that by putting the front lines just a few yards apart. I also would have been fine if they’d turned the kickoff play into a punt (can combine that with making it a 15-yards-to-go play so that teams that are trailing late can just run a play from scrimmage instead), but I don’t think that idea ever gained traction.

4 Likes

That’s fair. The kickoff had become terrible. I will miss the surprise onsides kick. Very much a unicorn, but was always exciting when it happened.

1 Like

How do onside kicks work in the new system?

Referee has to be notified in advance of onside kicks and teams can use the traditional onside formation. No surprise onside kicks allowed.

1 Like

Going to miss the potential for surprise onside kicks, but something definitely needed to be done about kickoffs.

Net positive development imo.

Onside kicks also only allowed in the 4th quarter now. Not that it’s a big deal with surprise onside kicks being disallowed but worth calling out.

How did they let that through? That’s like getting 1:3 on Blackjacks and being cool with it (bad analogy I know).