The NFL Thread 2: 1. T Swift

not after tomorrow :blush:

Donā€™t disagree but the integrity of the game-errr-betting lines depends on detailed injury reports.

Fox #1 team on the panthers tomorrow.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2023/11/17/explaining-the-nfls-injury-report-policy-and-why-bengals-are-under-investiagtion/71620159007/

There are some other rules, but the main points are:

"The NFL says an injury must be reported if it does any of the following:

Causes the player to miss a game
Prevents the player from finishing a game
Causes the player to miss a practice (did not participate)
Limits the playerā€™s participation in practice (limited participation)
Prevents the player from finishing a practice (limited participation)"

Given that he was wearing something that looked like a soft case/brace before the game, Iā€™d be surprised if he didnā€™t have some limitations during practice, but Iā€™m not a doctor.

the reason that i saw was something i, a normal poor hadnā€™t thought of, that with frequent airplane use players often wear preventative compression on the planes.

so maybe he wasnā€™t necessarily injured.

looks like iā€™m lesson planning at 430pm tomorrow, yuck.

No station should be forced to air the Giants.

1 Like

Those are the early games I think or I could be misunderstanding I know cowboys play early.

So is Dobbs going to turn back into a frog? Iā€™m racking my brain and trying to come up with guys on the career backup path that have become established successful starters.

Jim Plunkett is often given as an example. But thatā€™s old. The heir in waiting (Favre, Rodgers) donā€™t count, neither do the early career promotions of lower draft picks (Brady, Warner, Prescott, Purdy).

NFL is littered with backups that come-in and do well for about up to a season (Cassell) but more frequently a short run (Foles exhibit A) but come back down to earth (Fitzmagic exhibits B, C and D).

You generally get one shot at being a starting QB, maybe 2 if you were drafted high up and have had some success like Baker. So this is his. I think heā€™s played well enough this year that at a minimum he enters camp next year on a team with some QB competition, but as soon as heā€™s put back on the bench his career ceiling probably becomes top tier backup. Which isnā€™t a bad place to be in the NFL. You get well paid, arenā€™t getting hit all the time, and expectations are low that if you do win some games youā€™re a hero.

Trying to figure out what Iā€™m having for lunch today and in honor of the Lions win yesterday I think Iā€™ve landed on the Jameson Williams oreo mcflurry on top of a mcdouble.

Darnold got two chances without any success.
Trubisky got a second chance in Pittsburgh before being benched for Pickett last year, though most could see that he was a stopgap I think Pitt expected to play him the full year in 2022 until he sucked.

Goff and Alex Smith are both QBs that the teams who picked them #1 decided to move on from because they were holding back Superbowl ambitions. But both were still good enough to start in the league. Not sure if those scenarios count as second shots but I would argue they should count.

Matt Hasselbeck I think fits your criteria. 6th round pick by Green Bay and served on the practice squad and then backup (Favre would go on to play 5 more years in GB and was in his prime at the time. It wasnā€™t an heir-apparent situation), went to Seattle still as a backup/prospect behind Dilfer, and then took over as a starter in 2003. Starter for 7 years there, went to a Super Bowl, and then was still a starter for Tennessee in 2011 (winning record, but missed the playoffs).

2 Likes

The closest I can think of off the top of my head is Ryan Fitzpatrick, but he never established himself (or teams didnā€™t let him) as a long-term permanent starter. He started a lot of games, but was usually the backup teams were relieved to have, rather than entrenching himself as a starter year in and year out.

geno smith currently in seattle

1 Like

Sort of, but he was drafted to be a starter rather than career backup. He was on the backup circuit long enough to count, though.

Cousins could count. Drafted to be back-up, spent 3 years behind RG3 and only got a shot to start due to the injury.

1 Like

Yeah cousins def first that came to mind. Hurts was also drafted as Wentz backup

Steve Bono was the first guy I thought of, but I looked him up and he only had two seasons as the starter with KC after Montana retired. He was the QB on that quintessential Schottenheimer team that went 13-3 and then flamed out in the divisional round.

It would be interesting to see what wouldā€™ve happened with Tom Brady in an alternate universe where Drew Bledsoe doesnā€™t get hurt. Seems like Brady was going to be a long-term backup, but then got thrown into the fire in his second season and that was that.