The NFL Thread 2: 1. T Swift

Are you actually shooting for commercial success? I thought this was mostly a passion project. Just write it for yourself. 80-year-old suzzer will thank you.

I donā€™t want to rule out success. The puke in a pumpkin thing only works if you get the reference. Iā€™ll happily make references 1/3 of the readers will get. But 2% is a little too far. It didnā€™t really work all that well in the spot I had it anyway.

1 Like

Giants new starting QB

Every team is bad

broncos need to do what the bears did last year and just run the ball all the time

Give them a few years with the Kraken around, thatā€™ll change their syrup!

Boston not represented on that map near enough.

https://twitter.com/chargers/status/1718830956625191158

8 Likes

Omg that is elite

1 Like

Rashan Gary signs a 4yr/$107.5mm extension.

College analytic nerds told me Chase Winovich was better. Winovich retired last week.

I just looked at combine charts and I can tell you immediately looking at them, draft analytic nerds wouldnā€™t have said that.

apparently pff did with a ton of comparisons that werenā€™t close to what mockdraftable has so lol them

well I havenā€™t seen anyone who knows what they are doing who said that, itā€™s really clear from the athletic charts that gary was the better prospect.

Oh ok.

There was a ton of that stuff pre and post draft.

when it comes to pass rusher, athleticism is the key trait by far. Gary much ahead of Winovich there.

There are some not really athletic guys who end up with solid or better NFL careers, for current coming to mind, Yannick Ngakoue, Jonathan Allen (though that chart isnā€™t going to look good when you weigh like 40 pounds more than everyone else).

The NFL still really hasnā€™t figured this part out yet, sure itā€™s not a lock, but itā€™s a reliable filter once you figure it out.

Thereā€™s some teams that really use analytic departments but they donā€™t know what are they are doing with it (hi bears)

It felt like a trend of that time was to use the 3-cone drill as be all end all evaluation of a pass rusher. I get it, and while elite athleticism is necessary to be a top tier pass rusher, so many guys that have it but donā€™t have the instincts and natural pass rush moves end up underperforming. see: Trayvon Walker being drafted ahead of Aidan Hutchinson.

Everyone is chasing the holy grail of elite pass rushers like Reggie White, and while thatā€™s a notable goal, guys like him are unicorns. Just get someone who can get to the QB.

Your argument isnā€™t with me, itā€™s with all the analytic nerds that liked Winovich over Rashan Gary.

heh, the only trait that winovich had gary beat athletically was 3 cone.

there arenā€™t many guys who are athletic freaks among athletic freaks like walker, closest since like von miller maybe? but walkerā€™s tape didnā€™t have the production, von miller did. it was a #YOLO thatā€™s for sure but there was something behind it.

thereā€™s guys the NFL thinks are that werenā€™t like Dante Fowler but heā€™s still in the NFL.

I think Vertical Jump is more important than 3 cone for edge rushers, but to win with an outside rush against an NFL tackle you need to be able to be able to do a few things

• explode off the line (VJ + 10 yard split of 40 yard dash)
  • bend and turn the corner (3 cone)
  • win the hand fight battle (arm length + bench reps + weight)

Only true bust I can think of among freak athlete edge rushers was Vernon Gholston.

Other freak workouts were guys like Mario Williams, JJ Watt, Von Miller who largely panned out

Even guys like Connor Barwin shot up the draft boards after the combine and then proved it was correct over a long career.