The NFL Thread 2: 1. T Swift

Umm, I don’t think the dog was even in the car with him. It sounds like he just said he had to get home quick since his dog was having an emergency.

“Driver stated his dog was having an emergency at his residence, and that was the reason for his speed,” the citation read.

lol sure. So now he can just be like “well the dog is fine now thanks to my quick arrival, I prefer to keep the details private, thank you all for your concern”. Very believable.

1 Like

I read that with the signing bonus he is getting more than what he would get just being tagged, is that not better?

It actually isn’t much better. The difference between the franchise tag and his current contract is $910,000 in incentives. That’s it.

Should be noted that prior to this contract Saquon was turning down offers of $12M AAV from the Giants.

Oh, yeah that does stink. I assume part of that is on him, though.

And either way the Giants have him over a barrel. The franchise tag is garbage.

Or at least his representation for overplaying their hand and failing to notice the change in the running back market.

To put it into perspective, the Giants were willing to pay more to Kenny Golladay in 2021 than Saquon Barkley today.

I mean he’s a RB, and he’s had two really good years and two years mostly ruined by injury. Giants might live to regret even giving him what they gave him.

1 Like

The worst thing to happen for Saquon was Gettleman retiring before Saquon’s contract was up. If that guy was still around he probably would’ve given him a hundred milly.

1 Like

the Giants can tag him again in the offseason why the hell wouldn’t you just sign the damn thing instead

I guess cause it’s basically fully guaranteed? he gonna get tagged again tho

There’s still some over 10M/year but yeah the RB market has nose dived so hard, we’re in a passing league not establishin

So much this. I hated the pick when they made it even though I acknowledged that he was probably BAP then because the rookie contract they gave him made him a top 5 highest paid RB in the NFL at the time. Would’ve been way better to reach for a QB if they’re gonna pay #2 overall money.

Sam Darnold was the next pick

Nick Chubb was round 2

but yes would you rather have barkley or denzel ward, bradley chubb, roquan smith, quenton nelson

those were the next non qb’s taken

Franchise tag salary is fully guaranteed once signed. It really does seem like a horrible decision unless there is some “no tag next year” clause

Look at what I have accomplished as owner:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2023/07/24/packers-now-own-cheesehead-brand-lock-stock-and-big-yellow-wedges/69880376007/

Plus doesn’t that screw him the next two years where they can franchise tag him still, but next year will be a rate like this year and without the bump you get from your second tag.

Seems like they just tagged him an extra year if he is getting basically the same money.

As far as I know, there’s no language in the contract that prevents the Giants from tagging Saquon again.

In all probability, his agents looked at the contract Ezekiel Elliott signed in the past (6Y/90M) and were thinking around that when they got lowballed and held out for higher than the 12M AAV they were offered only to realize that the market was really bad for RBs.

Saquon has to be livid. I mean the incentives seemed to be a face-saving thing to not completely embarrass Saquon and his agent. I suspect he signed the deal because he saw what happened to LeVeon Bell’s career when he held out for an entire season.

Reality is that the NFL is a pass-first league and running backs are simply less valuable especially if they can’t catch. To be fair, Saquon has soft hands but not soft enough to be paid like a wide receiver. Gotta wonder what will happen to Austin Ekeler. I wonder if he’ll try to argue that he’s a wide receiver given his usage on the Chargers.

Barkley also has to be really hurt by his injury history. Why sign him to a multi-year deal when he’s only been health and good in one of his last three (and now that he’s 26 odds are even higher he gets injured). He’s exactly the type of player you should go year to year with.

When Elliott got his deal he’d at least been a consistently good work-horse (even if it was still a huge overpay).

1 Like

The deal is a one-year, adjusted franchise tag worth $10.1 million fully guaranteed and up to $11 million with incentives, sources told ESPN. The tag was adjusted to add a $2 million signing bonus, as well as the incentives, sources said.

So it’s a tag with a couple of extra incentives and $2MM brought up front. Considering he had 0 leverage it’s marginally better than the alternative. If he plays well they probably tag him again next year for $12MM or whatever it will be and then nobody will pay him after that because he’ll be way too old and beat up. Ekeler also likely isn’t getting any kind of serious money next year because he’s even older and more beat up.

1 Like

How do you get that Ekeler is more beat up? He’s been pretty healthy his entire career, has topped out at 200 rushes and lots of them are sweeps where he’s less likely to get a big hit. Barley has 150 more carries than Ekeler for his career, despite also missing more games due to injury. Ekeler does get lots of passes, but those shouldn’t be that bad as mostly going to be tackled in open field by defensive backs.

Not saying I’d give him a huge deal, but I’d much rather take the risk on a guy like Ekeler staying productive than Barkley.

https://twitter.com/jonmachota/status/1683623082475536387?s=20

I went back and looked up their college stats and Ekeler somehow had about 250 more carries than Saquon there, partly because he played 4 years and Saquon only played 3. My main argument is just that he’s older and people aren’t gonna be racing to sign a 29 year old RB who will be closing in on something like 1500 touches over his NFL career even if he produces well again this year.