The NFL Thread 2: 1. T Swift

Ossenfort adopted a somewhat similar strategy.

Garrett Williams and Michael Wilson both slid at least one round due to injury issues.

As a team that needs to gamble to be relevant in two years, it seems like a reasonable strat.

The Eagles’ bigger issue is that Hurts is now overpaid (as opposed to extremely underpaid), and they need to win it all this year or they’ll be the Rams for the next several years—only with a QB that has higher injury risk due to play style.

Drafting for the NFL is very much still an inexact science/art.

And not because scouting isn’t extremely sophisticated; it’s still hard to predict how a player will fit into a team scheme + the NFL is just really hard and lots of talent isn’t realized due to demands/injuries.

You can always re-watch the Super Bowl and slow down to 1/8th speed Roseman cuts at the end if you’re annoyed.

Supposedly their head of security is famous for doing deep dives to decide if a guy is “re-hannable”. Also they are counting on the veteran lockerroom and fellow dawgs help Carter along.

We shall see.

Yet again, for the record, I am not trashing Philly. I am trashing idiot pundits and their instant draft grade criteria.

Is this thing on? Check Check 1-2-3

You totally should though since they’re a trash organization with a trash fan base.

1 Like

we want instant things like that, it’s a consumer problem.

Seattle’s 2012/2013 drafts were considered the worst right away by many. 13 wasn’t good, just a late round TE, but 12 ended up pretty good wilson and irvin and still getting residual stuff from that thanks to denver.

“Carter arrived nine pounds heavier for his pro day two weeks after the NFL combine”

That ain’t great. The eagles have defensive linemen that aren’t gonna let him fuck around though. You wanna tell fletcher cox you’re just not feeling like it; no you do not.

3 Likes

Wilson and Irvin without mentioning the 100% lock hall of fame guy gave me an huge belly laugh. Thanks for that.

edit-fuck, slow pony and all.

1 Like

Instant draft grades are just the dumbest thing ever. No pundit has close to the inside info. the teams have.

The draft is a crapshoot. I think there’s some analytics to show that nobody really does worse than anyone else over a big enough sample size.

Except the Jets of course.

Lol Irvin, although I guess he was value where he was selected.

Russ is a million times more valuable/HOF locky than Bobby.

Onion

Mike Mayock is definitely known for not drafting players who are involved in deadly high-speed crashes. Let’s ask him. It’s wild how nearly all sports media construes “character issue” to mean something football related while conveniently avoiding the fact that this guy is a menace and public safety threat. In September 2022 he was ticketed for driving 89 mph in a 45 mph zone. You’ll never guess what happened next though: he participated in a 107 mph street race that killed two people, fled the scene, and lied to police about his involvement. Howie is a genius and has some former KGB guys getting to the bottom of it.

1 Like

I’m wondering what the relevance of the first sentence is.

The second sentence is another part of why this 25-year old has question marks. Reads are first level simple in his offense, part of that made possible by the extreme distance from one hash to the opposite sideline, and advantage he would no longer have even if there were some hypothetical offensive coordinator putting their receivers on the sidelines every snap like UT does

I don’t understand why mediocre NFL offenses just put a big arm back there and get a fast receiver or two and give a constant threat of the deep ball and then mix in the run underneath. Just run those dbs ragged.

This is the Chiefs and they threw in an elite TE over the middle too.

They are elite. I’m talking about teams overmatched physically.

Deep ball involves deeper drop back and longer time to throw which greatly increases the chance of a sack or turnover play.

I feel like this was sort of the Joe Flacco special. It’s a viable strategy if you are good at drawing pass interference on the deep balls

Tennessee had other talented qbs who weren’t nearly as good at running that offense as Hooker so there’s some clear ability to process information, make decisions, and arm talent too.