The Neverending Picture Game

First hit for “Franky’s” is a pizza place in Chico. The logo isn’t really like the banner in that pic, but the font might be the same. Could be it.

More like Franky’s Red Hots in Chicago

The clue to follow might be “Cash Line” - They seem to sponsor these events. Here’s one they sponsored in Limassol, cyprus:

1 Like

Ho Chi Mihn? Tet celebration?

good eye on that other banner, I couldn’t make it out.

Hmm, looks like there’s a “Franky’s Live” in Nicosia, Cyprus that could be the other sponsor, but not much info on it.

Hard to tell, but that pic looks less arid than Cyprus. Cyprus is really behind the times in getting google street view.

yeah, i don’t think it’s cyprus, either. No palm trees in sight, and it seems too cold.

now, where would there be a large cypriot and southeast asian population together is the next question. Cash Line is only Cyprus, from what I can see, but they might have offices/reps in immigrant areas to send money home.

Yeah, that wall looks like the wall of nicosia

1 Like

yeah, the only other place with anything named Franky’s that could apply is Astoria, Queens, which has a large Greek and Asian population. But I think you’re right, i just can’t seem to find the right park because apparently google doesn’t go to cyprus

There’s some street view around the Walls of Nicosia, but I haven’t found that spot and as Radiskull would say “Radiskull must sleep”.

Don’t know who give credit to but I took that picture in Nicosia, Cyprus on January 22nd, 2017. I was surprised to see a celebration of Tet on that day as I did not realize it was Tet and I didn’t know there were Vietnamese people living in Cyprus.

It is indeed outside of the Venetian Walls that surround the old city of NIcosia and I believe that festival was held in a park slightly outside of Famagusta Gate, which is the entrance into the old city from the Republic of Cyprus.

I was searching Google maps before reading this post and just happened to zoom in on that exact park. Couldn’t find the buildings in street view though.

That is some pretty sick detective work. I found a place called Franky’s in Duisburg, Germany using that same font and was led astray.

1 Like

You mean from a technical standpoint or an honor code one?

I was thinking honor code. I don’t really know how to make the rules optimal. Image searching really depends on how hard it is. It’s all fine, what can you do, but it’s better to at least be trying for a while before resorting to image search - but nbd. It was a group effort, but the “winner” should not be me and I can’t think of a pic to post anyway.

Having never played this before, I found the idea of technical impossibility of RIS somewhat romantic in the age of Google Knows Everything. It forces thoughtful game play on us and there’s no doubt whether someone peeked. The problem is that it adds significant work for the image chooser since they should check that it’s not solvable with GIS/Bing/TinEye but also verify that it isn’t impossible. Additionally, I think seeing the steps/reasoning involved is nice since it may be something totally clever you didn’t think of.

Since it’s his thread, maybe Namath can weigh in on what this game is ideally supposed to look like. Tougher clues with no RIS will slow down the pace significantly. I’m not sure if that was the original intention. Most image posters probably don’t want to do a bunch of extra work and I could see it being difficult from a phone. Like maybe my idea works better as a separate “reveal” type game where I have time to carefully curate, say, 10 images in advance that cannot be easily found and then everyone gets like a week to submit their answers privately.

Figure I just use my own pictures and try to avoid ones that are of well-known tourist areas. Less likely that somebody takes an exact picture.

1 Like

I liked bob’s Nicosia pic for this. It was difficult and reverse image search was pretty much useless, but it was solvable.

1 Like

The best way to do this is to use an image you took that is solvable but not searchable, like the last picture of Nicosia.

Another variation is to used zoomed in/cropped pictures. Kind of changes the point of the game but is in the same neighborhood.

I actually had to work to pick that one from my collection. Hard to find a picture with the right balance of difficult but not impossible.