The National Football League

Phil Dawson is basically the same as Vinatieri in the stats. Though he was the Browns kicker so shrugs.

Iā€™m so glad heā€™s not my teams head coach. Iā€™m a bears fan

1 Like

I want to know what the deal was with Gostkowski in the 2007 game vs the Giants. Belichick went for it on 4th and 13 from the Giants 31 in the middle of the 3rd quarter, rather than have Gostkowski kick a 48 yarder in a dome. They ended up losing by 3 of course. I donā€™t know if he was hurt or if they didnā€™t trust him or what.

I think his career numbers are probably better than Vinatieri, but he never got the rep of being a great clutch guy, like the other kickers you mentioned, due to opportunity, but also due to some real boner kicks. AFC Championship vs. Denver, missed an XP that ended up being the difference in going to overtime, missed XPs in both the Eagles and Atlanta Super Bowls. Missed a 26 yarder in the Philly Super Bowl, missed against the Rams.

I donā€™t really want anyone to confuse this as a defense of Joe Judge, but Paul Allen was a really hands off owner, and the Seahawks are definitely not an analytics-oriented team. They just punted from their own 40 late in the 4th quarter down two scores on 4th and modest, like 6 or 7 when their defense hadnā€™t stopped anything all day.

Vanderjagt was good for 9 years, Kaeding for 8, Gostkowski for 13. Vinatieri was good for 23.

Judge isnā€™t totally wrong. I mean yeah, that punt was horrible, but there is certainly truth to the ā€œyouā€™ve got to take those numbers as a tool and go ahead and factor in how your teamā€™s playing at the time and how the opponent is as well and also the flow of the gameā€ statement.

But again, that was one cowardly punt. Sometimes there are just situations where ā€œgutā€ and ā€œfeelā€ make no sense.

Phil Dawson has a nearly identical career except being on the browns if you want a better point.

heā€™s absolutely right in that analytics are just a tool to use because itā€™s not accounting for team strengths (if their DL is way better than your OL 4th and short is less appealing especially if the OC is one of those fourth and 1 hurp durp jumbo package run the ball straight at them or TRICK PLAY TIME), weaknesses in other coaches in game strategy (even fat mike is going for a TD down 4 at the end of the game).

heā€™s also absolutely a cowardly punter

https://twitter.com/Eric_Branch/status/1443301327392546817

lol

1 Like

Oh forgot about Vandy. That guy fell off the face of the Earth after being perfect for a season and a half.

Knew Judge was a shit coach from the beginning. Nearly everybody in Belichickā€™s coaching tree has been AIDS as a HC.

1 Like

To be fair, Bill Gates has as many wins as Joe Judge so far this year.

Holy shit

2 Likes

Yeah I saw that. Like, I could hardly give two shits about the halftime show normally, but that is one helluva lineup. Sad that they canā€™t get Nate Dogg for a proper rendition of The Next Episode.

9 Likes

Iā€™m watching nfl network and I didnā€™t realize the game that Drew Bledsoe got hurt in leading to Tom Brady playing was the first game back after 9/11. So basically there is an alternate universe where 9/11 doesnā€™t happen and Tom never gets a shot and we never know he exists? Take me to that timeline please.

2 Likes

yeah but itā€™s Trumps 2nd term

damn why is there always be a catch with this stuff!

tom brady inspiring a young pats fan to work hard and live up to his potential and that kid goes on to develop a cure for cancer is not something i want to imagine

But then Tom never would have cured concussions with water!

1 Like

I still remember that shot and thinking that it didnā€™t look that bad. After all, thatā€™s what all the protective equipment is for, right? And RBs and WRs take that kind of shot on the reg. I figured he be back the next week.

Of course, as a Dolphins fan, I was thinking that Bledose going down was good for us. That was one of the more wrong thoughts Iā€™ve ever had.

3 Likes

Breaking news. Just realized the Seahawks get two chances to lose this week.