The National Football League

The novelty of it / convenience. Although officiating gets tricky I suppose. Although I imagine on a short field you could do 4 officials per side.

I like this idea, the only thing is that I would just have them start closer. Plays starting at the 30 can end up with action on the other side of the field. It’s uncommon, but I’d feel better about it at the 20.

Agree. Tier 1 is Mahomes by himself.

I’d put Russ near the top of tier 2.

I mean, the only alternative to trading a QB that doesn’t want to play for you is to completely clean house of the coach, gm and everyone else and remake the team according to his specifications. I don’t see that happening. I think there’s a good case to be made that a Super Bowl caliber QB is harder and more important to find than a Super Bowl caliber head coach, but I still don’t see it happening. So, either they make amends, or hopefully they get the entirety of Chicago’s draft capital for 3 years, two of which will be spent by a new coach and gm after Pete gets fired when the team absolutely stinks next year.

Another perspective is that the overwhelming majority of QBs that have appeared in the Super Bowl since the rookie pay scale was implemented have been either

1. Tom Brady
  2. On a rookie contract

And Brady, having the luxury of not being the primary breadwinner in his family, has been on a sub-market contract for much of that. Russ is no longer either of those things. So, if you want to win Super Bowls instead of just making the playoffs consistently, you may just have to accumulate a ton of draft capital by trade or by sucking or both to try and land a good qb on a rookie contract so that you can afford to have a good team around him.

How do we even get to a place where Russ doesn’t want to play with you?

I’m also not exactly sure what he wants, but I doubt that complete house cleaning is it. I suspect his demands are more modest than that.

Sounds like you wouldn’t be as broken up by Russ leaving as I thought.

Ask him again when FitzMagic is off the market.

in 2017 the chicago bears traded up for trubisky and gave up picks 3, 67 (which ended up being alvin kamara, seriously, 111 and a 3rd in 2018 (fred warner a pro bowler LB for SF))

and believe it or not it gets worse

because of that move up, pace felt he needed to get those # of picks back so they also traded out of the second round

for 45/119/197 and a fourth in 2018 45th was adam shaheen a huge bust at TE taken 3 rounds ahead of some kittle guy 119 was tarik cohen, a platoon RB but at least a NFL player. 197 later traded irrelevant (and the later 4th is still just a backup LB)

arizona with that pick took budda baker

literally passed up 4 pro bowlers for trubes how are you not fired you fucking idiot

Bears could’ve had Mahomes or Watson/Baker/Kamara/Warner instead of Trubes/Cohen/backup LB my god

https://twitter.com/JoshDubowAP/status/1369042322420158464

Dak finally gets his extension.

Titans dump Isaiah Wilson to the Dolphins for a swap of seventh-rounders.

Eventful hour of NFL news.

lolol 29th pick in last years draft traded for a 7th round swap

Miami loses nothing basically, Tenn clearly just wanted him the fuck out of there

that’s the worst first round pick in awhile, underwood going total awol the last one that bad?

also the 29th pick

cursed

lol this is the second time with Tennessee Robinson has made a reach move to get his Prototype Right Tackle. at least Jack Conklin turned out pretty good although they passed on Laremy Tunsil for him.

I wonder if this means Miami isn’t targeting Sewell with the 3rd pick. They need a WR but this draft has so much depth there that I’m not sure spending the #3 pick on one of them is a great idea.

No idea what they’re going to do but I’m certainly interested.

Chase is worth the #3 pick but I definitely feel like they are a prime target to trade down for one of the teams trying to upgrade at QB. Wouldn’t be surprised if Carolina made a big offer. Denver could be in the mix too.

if swapping a 7th for a player changes your mind on the third pick in the draft

you are too stupid have someone else draft

WR in this class is fairly deep, it’s hard to take any of them early as a result. Chase is #1 WR tho NFL might not agree who knows

Miami may also be in the QB market themselves given Tua wasn’t any good last year.

It’s more in conjunction with the fact that they also drafted three offensive linemen last year. I mean, Robert Hunt is already their starting right tackle, so it’s more a bet that if Wilson works they can kick him inside and be even stronger; if he doesn’t, they can find an interior guy later or through free agency (although Flowers was decent as a guard last year)

So is OL, at least through round two. I don’t really care if a position is deep if a prospect stands out above the rest at it. And I think Chase and Sewell stand out as the best non-QBs at this draft. Draft for talent.

draft for talent has often backfired hard on teams too (though my favorite is we’re drafting THAT POSITION NO MATTER WHAT) fails

the draft is fun

How so and how has it backfired more than need? Teams misevaluate players, or players get hurt, that’s not the same as the approach of drafting the best players with your earliest picks failing.

bjorn warner is the quickest example I could think of, colts had zero need for that position at the time.

bears did this a few times in the last 10 drafts with guys who ended up never playing a down in rds 2 and 3 but they really thought that guy was the best player on the board.

all the 9er injury stashes none of them worked but lower rounds who cares lol

Werner also wasn’t actually talented, he was an old and unathletic pass rusher, a really bad combination.

Part of the problem is that teams are just bad at evaluating. (He was a Grigson pick, right? Enough said)

Not like we’re experts either, but the processes teams use to evaluate players matter. I dunno how the Bears decided on all those guys they bricked on but we know how Pace decided on Trubisky and that was an awful process.

Honestly I’m surprised not a single one of those injury stashes of the 49ers worked out. Some of them I don’t think were that good to begin with (Tank Carradine) or their injury was so horrific they would never play again (Marcus Lattimore) but I thought a guy like Brandon Thomas was going to be a good NFLer. Then again they may also have been bad at evaluating talent-- A.J. Jenkins, Lamichael James, Marcus Martin, etc.