The Inso0 AMA: Now featuring, "it's just a flu"

The whole “these are my beliefs, but I cannot be bothered to investigate exactly what they are, nor will I defend them, but the answers to your questions are out there somewhere” re:Bible is pretty… I can’t quite find the word I am looking for. Chickenshit. I have a hard time imagining what it would be like being that intellectually stunted to not even have enough basic curiosity about a core belief system I hold to be willing to answer basic questions about it.

I mean I’m certainly lazy but man, “facts not feelings” kind of outlook on life would seem to require a person being thirsty to get, you know, facts, rather than believing something purely based on a feeling.

I grew up completely indoctrinated in the church and spent the better part of my younger years wrestling with the fact that it does not make logical sense, coming to grips with it, researching everything I possibly could find about Creationism and the modern theory of how the universe came to be, compared the two, and I can assure you there is a lot more nuance to it than simply saying “They have the same explanations but on a shorter timeline.”

No. Many, many things about the observable world do not jive with this “shorter timeline” and the explanations given unless you apply some magic to it and ignore reality a bit.

To be fair this describes 98% of religious people.

I admit I don’t know enough about everyone who was in the Dem primary to answer this question honestly. Andrew Yang maybe?

Bernie Sanders out of morbid curiosity? A vote for Bernie would be like the original vote for Trump in that you have the fallback of knowing that he’s too crazy to get anything of real consequence done, but it would at least be entertaining. The difference there is it’s Bernie v Trump, and honestly I think the potential downside with Sanders would be much, much worse. Trump is harmless and I’m generally pretty risk-averse in my day to day life.

I don’t know what your journey was like, but I was a member of a Lutheran church from the Missouri Synod. I attended a private Lutheran gradeschool and a run of the mill public high school. I went to my wife’s church (from Wisconsin Synod) a few times around year 2000 before we were actually married and was extremely turned off by it. I refused to go back after a few visits.

I am inquisitive by nature and enjoy learning how things work but don’t think I was robbed of anything growing up by my participation in religion. Maybe my church was just weaksauce and slacked on the indoctrination. I’m very much in the camp of “where there’s a painting, there’s likely a painter” and think it’s more illogical to believe this all appeared from nothing than that it was created in some form. There’s too much beauty in the universe to believe otherwise, imo. I know that’s a trap because who created the creator and all that, but that problem doesn’t go away if you reject spirituality and the answer boils down to “we don’t know.”

It seems like the magic dust that science sprinkles in sometimes to make things work is time itself. Nothing has aged faster than the universe.

As far as you calling me a chickenshit; that’s cool. I don’t feel the need to defend my religion to strangers on the internet. I’m sorry you feel like a belief in God is incompatible with rational thought. Agree to disagree.

How concerned are you all that things like elective surgeries and cancer screenings are down 90%+ pretty much everywhere?

The one size fits all approach being taken in WI is leaving a lot of people out in the cold. Milwaukee and Madison, as usual, are standing on the necks of everyone else here, and people are rightfully pissed off. Wisconsin’s hospitals are largely empty.

People going in for cancer screenings are generally not doing it for shits and giggles. These people have risk factors and those days/weeks/months matter. Why isn’t there a big push to turn at least the healthcare industry back on in a more complete capacity?

Neck standing now itt.

My mom finally got her Botox appointment which had been delayed several times. While it’s not life threatening when she doesn’t have it it’s a serious quality of life hit when her tremor returns.

1 Like

https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/covid-19/data.htm

When cancer becomes a contagious virus that causes an ever-growing pandemic, we’ll be more concerned.

THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS

1 Like

You’re missing the part where a majority of the cases are concentrated in the 2-3 large urban centers, and probably because they haven’t shut down public transit. The stupid Milwaukee streetcar is still rolling past my office window every 20 minutes. It serves a section of the city that is completely shut down. I heard this morning that MCTS has made one change so far, and that’s just to protect the bus drivers. The front bus doors are permanently locked, you have to climb into the back to get on/off.

It actually looks like it’s Brown county, not Dane, with the major case numbers. So good for you, Madison. Milwaukee and Green Bay are holding the rest of the state hostage at the moment.

We have many suburban hospitals sitting empty right now. You can’t get cancer screening in Oconomowoc today, even though you’d be the only person in the huge hospital who doesn’t work there.

In an effort to prevent people from getting a flu that almost certainly won’t have a lasting effect on them, we’ve eliminated all other forms of preventative medicine for much more serious illnesses. Seems like a pretty terrible tradeoff.

The curve has been flattened. Time to reassess these restrictions and take a more targeted approach.

Imagine still calling this a flu lol

7 Likes

When you say “cancer screening”, what test(s) are you talking about exactly?

Inso still playin’ the hits.

1 Like

Here’s one paper that goes over the rates for breast, colon, and cervical cancer screenings: Epic Research

ITT death not a lasting effect

1 Like

I’m not really for banning people but surely playing the it’s a flu card at this point earns at least a temp ban?

1 Like

That’s not answering my question. When you said,

What tests were you referring to? Were you only referring to breast, colon and cervical? Only some of those? All of those and others?

If you are too dumb to realize that this is a deadly and highly contagious disease at this point I tend to agree. Loled at WE FLATTENED THE CURVE TIME TO REOPEN. Tough to get dumber than that. Literally flattening the curve was supposed to be step 1 not the entire ballgame.

just to add to this, you’re surely thinking of something that’s happened to someone you know, right? Like a friend of yours? Or is it just some random viral facebook post

Let’s be real here. With very few exceptions, the people who succumb to COVID-19 were on their way out, and this pushed them over the edge.

I’d feel really shitty if my wife’s breast screening was delayed by 6 months only for her to get bad news and have the doctor say, “I’m sorry, ma’am, if we had caught this 6 months sooner…”

That happens all the damn time.

fuck you dude

18 Likes