The Great Resignation: Remote workplaces and the future of work

Going great

1 Like

https://archive.ph/LAagk

30 days of vacation are about standard here I think.
Where I work I have only 2 full time(40hrs a week) employees. Everyone else just goes 30 to 35 hrs per week. A common theme around the ones with young childs is that they want to see them grow up. Years ago my bosses also didnt want to grant anyone a 40hr contract because they thought its easier to replace somebody with 30rs(6hrs per day) when they get ill. Of course everyone was free to do overtime and get it paid but you basically got robbed that way because you wont get paid more than 30 hrs if you are on vacation or get sick even if you averaged 35-40 hrs every week. It was really shitty.
I think a lof them also depend on their husbands bringing in the bigger pay. And of course a big item is also the insufficient child care.

I would go less hours but I cant afford it. Few also dont believe that they will get that much of a pension anymore when they reach the retirement age so they dont care about how much money they make.

1 Like

Zoom is requiring its workers to return to the office.

7 Likes

what about all the ones who moved to other states?

Mandate applies to people who live within 50 miles of the office. So, very annoying if you moved 45 miles away, but if you don’t live anywhere near the office you can probably get away with coming in less often.

Man that seems like a really hilariously bad look when you admit your remote work platform isn’t suitable for effective remote work (but nothing matters so lol get fucked).

1 Like

Oh it’s effective. It’s rich people wanting to stop work from home at all cost.

I think Zoom’s business model is basically unchanged if the new normal become hyrbrid and not remote.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/amazon/amazon-relies-on-serendipity-for-office-return-employees-want-data/

Adam Selipsky, head of Amazon’s cloud computing business, wouldn’t give employees any data to back up the decision to require workers to come back to the office.

But he did have some stories to share, according to an Amazon Web Services employee who attended the all-hands meeting.

A discussion with a quantum computing professor in Tel Aviv, Israel, sparked a second, impromptu meeting with a different group of employees, Selipsky said at the all-hands. Though that technology lesson may not have changed those workers’ lives, Selipsky continued, it still exemplifies “the serendipity” of a return to the office.

Over the course of the year, “just think about … the serendipitous things that can happen,” Selipsky said, according to a transcript of the meeting shared with The Seattle Times by the Virginia-based AWS employee and later by Amazon.

“Serendipity” seemed to be the crux of Selipsky’s argument for a return-to-office mandate. “Actual data … it’s very hard to come by,” he said, especially “any data that I think would stand scrutiny.”

For some Amazon employees, “serendipity” isn’t enough. Workers who have asked the company to share data have been provided anecdotes and a consistent trope that innovation is more likely to happen in person.

1 Like

Serendipitously fill my office buildings thank you

4 Likes

The company I used to work for has a building with a massive deck overlooking South Lake Union from basically Gas Works Park and I would go eat lunch out on the deck any time it wasn’t too hot in the Summer. Adam was my CEO for almost 2 years. Adam’s office had a private door to the aforementioned deck and I’ve had multiple conversations with him, though it was mostly just small talk. Wowe much serendipity.

2 Likes

Can’t believe this was 10 days ago and I’m just now seeing it lol

In my stonks research I am seeing a bunch of mentions scattered hither and thither regarding “commercial real estate markets.” The more I think about it, the more I think these moves back to the office have a lot to do with propping that up in order to prop up funds that have those stonks tied up in them (which of course most affect the portfolios/net worths of the very c-suite types pushing return to office). I don’t have a lot of hard data to back it up, though. Call it serendipity.

That’s all it is. Just rich people that bought commercial buildings. No one to rent it = they fucked

CEOs in a year when people still aren’t RTO:

I believe this is root cause number 1. Root cause number 2, or maybe 1b, is the number of management types that truly believe in their hearts that the raw power of their personal charisma will drive their teams to new heights of achievement just by having people merely in their presence. Don’t underestimate how many of the manager class are people who voraciously consume LinkedIn workplace culture social media like racist boomers slurp up Fox News. The wealth land owners have no problems whatsoever getting those people to rally behind their back to office narratives. Give Simon Sinek a million dollars to say something and ten million middle managers across the global corporate ecosystem will treat it as the gospel truth.

1 Like

It certainly doesn’t apply to all jobs but for my job there is absolutely a benefit to going in person and I don’t think enough of our employees do it often enough (myself included).

There is a benefit. There are good (data driven) ideas about getting people together for certain kinds of work that particularly benefit from being in person. The practial challenge is immense right now though - absent a back to office mandate, you need to spend time and effort to a) identify the opportunities for effective in person collaborative work, b) coordinate work flows so that all the critical parties are making this work a priority at the same time, and c) coordinate getting all those people into the office at the same time when they are not in the office on a regular scheduled. Getting all these done in a flexible hybrid environment is not trivial. This is a massive pain in the ass and employees aren’t interested in working on it because they don’t want to reach the conclusion anyway that they should go in to the office. So even if you try to do this, you meet resistance and undermining making it doubly hard. Most people are just going to say “fuck it” and keep doing what they’re doing.

1 Like

Seems like a pretty useless number given that jobs have such varied levels of compensation. Just averaging that out doesn’t seem to be that informative. At least not to me.

2 Likes