The Great Resignation: Remote workplaces and the future of work

I’ve considered relocating a lot. Was planning on Florida a few years ago, right before covid showed us that Florida is off the rails. I make way more at my current room than I did previously at one of the larger rooms in the country, so I’m hesitant to move without knowing for sure I can maintain my current hourly.

Probably want to mix some physical exercise in there somewhere.

Brainwise it sounds great. Unless you’re doing all that stuff by rote and not learning anything new.

Even with exercise, something like hiking where you’re navigating uncertainty is better than repetitive movement.

If you don’t mind sharing, what is the hourly rate for a poker dealer these days?

(Obviously understandable if you don’t feel like doing so)

You don’t need to get a second job to find something to keep you busy. As Mill says,

A cultivated mind…finds sources of inexhaustible interest in all that surrounds it: in the objects of nature, the achievements of art, the imaginations of poetry, the incidents of history, the ways of mankind, past and present, and their prospects in the future.

1 Like

Don’t forget reading about politics and flying into a blind rage.

4 Likes

Yup, so in Suzzers situation where he has no work to do i would spend my free time doing hobbies not just sitting around for 16 hours staring at UP and my TV.

For me the freedom to do what you want when you want is for more important than needing to be kept busy with work. Obviously I can’t guarantee it but i strongly suspect I could retire today in my mid 30s and be completely happy living out my life doing my own thing.

2 Likes

I’m writing a book that I’ve already put something like 2k hours into. I walk 2 miles to the gym and back every weekday and do longer hikes on the weekend.

But I still have too much free time. Programming tasks fit into that perfectly. It’s just annoying when they evaporate.

Part of the problem is I live alone and have a pretty sparse social life right now.

Cannot tell you how many people I know have spent years of their life trying to earn their way into a job where they can get paid to work on their book. Just pretend your boss told you to do that imo, problem solved.

2 Likes

Except for rare occasions I don’t get into flow state writing the book. Writing is fucking painful and hard. But rewarding when it comes out well.

Solving puzzles for me is relaxing and time passes really quickly.

Then when you are slow at work just program as a hobby, make it a long shot start up type thing if you need some pressure to get off your ass.

Anything to stop your pathetic constant groveling to be bossed around by “the man.”

Well, yeah, I do that even though I’m working.

Unless my whole brain gets rewired, I can’t do these things without constantly trying to improve at them.

I am not an outdoors guy. Much prefer my home gym and watching TV. Don’t need to schedule around weather and such.

Somehow instead I spend my time getting sucked into these conversations.

No desire to do a startup. But yeah I should force myself to do more hobby stuff.

Trust me, I drive my bosses nuts. I tell them to fuck off (in effect) all the time when I don’t agree with them.

But I like building stuff for users and internal customers and seeing them use it. That gives me satisfaction. I don’t get nearly the same satisfaction building something for myself that just sits there. It’s like cooking for people vs. cooking for yourself.

This podcast is where I was getting the hiking stuff from. He says balance exercises and things that make your brain work while exercising have the same effect. I just seized on hiking because I like it.

Isn’t there an open source tool that you use that you could contribute to?

Take up sudoku or something.

How can I find meaning in my life?

Did you check behind the sofa?

3 Likes

I’ve been trying laying on the sofa eating chips, but nothing yet.

Any poison yet? Consumer protection advocate is a very fulfilling position.

Hikes are cool. I guess I just don’t consider them exercise. However, I don’t think I’ve ever done a serious one (e.g. with significant elevation) in my life.