The Great Resignation: Remote workplaces and the future of work

I don’t mind. There’s obviously a vast variance in what a dealer makes based on where they work and how skilled they are. In my current room working day shift I am making $44/hr over the past 1.5 years. Thats all inclusive with cash games, tournaments, and deadspreads/breaks. The shift I’m on has me seeing wayyy more tournaments and breaks than if I worked swing. Tournaments are about 2/3rds my cash downs on a good week, and thankfully our tournament down rate here is way above industry standard.

In cash games I average $32/down. I think any dealer who is not completely awful can make $15-20/down pretty easily. Ideally I would work in my current room 4 days a week for 8 hours, dealing for 6.5 of those hours with like 10 cash games and 3 tournaments. But that would require a well managed room where the director actually cared about their dealers.

We just had another good dealer put in her two weeks. She received an email response from the director that said “your resignation is accepted”, as if they had a fucking choice. Literally every dealer and supervisor is miserable and hates the director. Should be one of the best rooms in the country to work at, but instead it’s a shit show.

5 Likes

I’m rarely miserable when I find out last minute that a class I was supposed to teach has been cancelled.

Oh man, other people flaking on me is the absolute best. They’re like “oh my God I’m so sorry I can’t make our meeting”. Ha!

2 Likes

Yeah. But he is getting paid and he can do literally anything he wants with that time

Very few people get that sweet spot.

You can volunteer at Distributed Proofreaders. We always need people with time on their hands that are smart.

1 Like

Interesting project. Hadn’t heard of it before.

Makes me feel like I’m giving something g back to the world.

1 Like

This guy way underestimates my ability to sit in a cubicle and do jack shit all day.

Doing nothing is awful. Not having to do anything is glorious.

It’s not. And it’s possible.

1 Like

Hike up a mountain. Even a small one. It is exercise. Great exercise.

Go on

I like working on projects that are engaging . When I have to tell people to effectively RTFM I can’t be arsed.

I’m on team Suzzer. Having nothing to do sucks.

I’m willing to believe that having nothing you are required to do sucks. 25 years of essentially non-stop work makes me want to give it a whirl tho tbh. Feel like I’m pretty good at finding enjoyable things to spend my time doing.

1 Like

Wake up late. Go to the gym. Go out for coffee and read a book. Do some work or a side project. Go out for dinner or drinks with your partner. Repeat.

I did this for 8 months. Was fucking great.

12 Likes

You broke the rules there. Once you throw in meaningful work, it’s all good.

There are infinite things to do in this world. If you can’t find a way to fill up your day without a 9-5 job, your problem is not a lack of things to do, but rather, a lack of creativity.

2 Likes

I worked around 10 hours/month for several years. It was glorious. Now I spend well over 2000 hours/year in an office but it’s got all the comforts of home and I still do little actual work. The thought that one day I might need to get an actual job is horrifying.

I got laid off last Sept. I’m 58 and don’t think I’ll ever do a ‘proper’ job again. Maybe some freelance or part time shit for pocket money at some point. I play golf once or twice a week, play a poker tournament a couple of times a month, do chores around the house and fill up the rest of the time with hobbies, mainly woodworking and building plastic models. I love it.

18 Likes