The Great Resignation: Remote workplaces and the future of work

I work in the office now sporadically and this throws me for a loop every time. I usually get up early even on WFH days so I can get important things out of the way like exercise and shit posting on UP, but on the days when I go into the office I get up at the same time and it astonishes me how much of a waste of time it is to put on pants and commute.

2 Likes

Pants suck. Shorts or Jammie pants are the way to go.

1 Like

26 Likes

+1000. I always feel like a weirdo for hating jeans and pants in general. Dress pants are ok. If I have to wear pants it’s going to be athletic pants of some sort.

I’m endlessly mocked for loose fitting cargo pants. Hate the back pocket and damn phones gotta go somewhere. My wife drew the line at cargo jeans.

I go in twice a week and hate it. Unbelievable I used to do this almost every day. Today I drove my kid to high school and then came directly to the office for a total of 90 minutes straight down the fucking toilet.

With that said, I do think it’s valuable for our newer employees to not be on their own 100% of the time, and they actually seem to not actively hate our in-office days (we do one day together, everybody does one additional day of their own choosing, but I don’t keep track of that second day so I really have no idea if they come in or not). They’re the only reason I come here at all.

i go in twice a week and it’s a highlight of my week. although if they start requiring 5 days in the office, i will seriously consider the severance.

I’m almost completely flexible, but I’m in from 2 to 5 days.

You post on r/antiwork?

The whole Canadian federal government just mandated a minimum 2 days a week in office, after spending much of the pandemic touting WFH as the new work paradigm and saying people wouldn’t be going back just to take Teams calls in their offices.

I, of course, spend much of my time in the office on Teams calls, because everyone is on different office schedules. It’s a complete waste of everyone’s time. But, the minister responsible for the public service represents a central Ottawa riding and caved to lobbying from the city and downtown businesses to force public servants back to the office to rescue their failed business models.

I’m not sure what you’re asking -

That came from a post in r/antiwork.

I do not post in r/antiwork.

I couldn’t tell from your post whether that was a screenshot from your phone or something from someone else that was posted elsewhere on the internets.

1 Like

I figured it couldn’t possibly be from reddit because the phone had more than 5% charge in the screenshot.

5 Likes

Cargo sweatpants/joggers?

I’ve been eyeing them for long flights.

I bought a “tactical hoodie” with seven pockets to use while traveling.

2 Likes

14 Likes

We are going back to being in the office 2 out of 5 days. Should have moved out of the city to be excempted as the issues they are trying to solve are not solved by sitting in an office again. Went back for the first time this week and commuting is a waste of time and I get a lot less done in the office.

My division of my company announced wednesday and thursday to be office days. I fortunately am totally remote but would be pissed if I lived in the dallas area.

My company rather hilariously is mandating back to office and people just aren’t doing it. They keep sending out emails “this is mandatory” and people just don’t go.

5 Likes