The Great Resignation: Remote workplaces and the future of work

Yeah, there is no way they are going to expend the effort and cost necessary to enforce this universally. “Mandatory” doesn’t mean anything until there are consequences. Someone somewhere will probably try to fire some people to make an example but most companies aren’t going to wreck their brand for that.

Our company is supposedly finally mandating office days soon, I’m half convinced they’re doing it specifically because they expect a certain % of people to quit. For a few years now, 80% of replacement hires have been offshore anyway so it wouldn’t surprise me at all if it’s a roundabout cost-saving measure.

https://twitter.com/ZackBornstein/status/1628849418060599296?t=pn7aFwcmkXdvjf43rJopNQ&s=19

8 Likes
2 Likes

If they put my PS5 in there I’m more interested.

1 Like

Your company does not give a shit about you part infinity

11 Likes

Your direct boss, if they aren’t a complete shitheel, will likely notice and appreciate. Everyone above them who actually wields the power to compensate or promote you though, absolutely gives zero fucks.

I work in the construction industry and a super common thing is if it is a 7 am start time you were expected to be working at 7am. This means you have to be there at least 15 min early. You needed to roll out cords have tools set up etc all by 7am. Same thing at end of shift. You worked until end of shift then roll up cords put away tools. You did not get paid for this 30-45minutes a day. Company that didn’t do this wanted to make this the new policy.

Superintendent thought it was bullshit. He went into
the office and packed all the computers up in boxes. When they arrived in morning they were all pissed off. He said you can’t clock in until your computer starts.

20 Likes

Nice. Results?

They didn’t make the changes. The best part is the superintendent is son of governor inslee. Guessing that’s why they didn’t fire him. He hated politics and avoided and tried to deflect away when anyone brought it up. Super nice guy.

Crazy to me that unpaid labor of setting up is legal.

1 Like

Some construction companies allowed 15 min before clock out time to start “rolling up.” Unions are the only thing that hasn’t destroyed wages for construction trades that are non union on East and west coast.
I mean I’m a high-school dropout moron and I can’t even begin to count the amount of times I was told don’t do to much overtime. “Work too much and it just all goes to Uncle Sam.”

Not exactly the same - but waiters often get screwed in a similar way when they have to do a bunch of stuff before and after their shift. I remember having to show up like 15 minutes early to set tables, prep lemons, etc. and then has to stay about 30 minutes after to roll silverware. They did at least have to pay you the $2 minimum wage for waiters, but it was definitely a way to save money by having waiters do it as opposed to people getting full wages.

1 Like

I think this is correct. Uncle Joe should fix this stuff as well. It’s wage theft pure and simple. Flight attendants bust there humps before takeoff and have to deal with the worst of humanity with some frequency.

1 Like

Is it some sort of accounting trick to maximize crew availability since their hours are limited? If you paid flight attendants for the boarding process, would the hourly wage be reduced so there’s no net gain in income?

There is absolutely no way it’s worth it. None. And yeah, of course the ones who think it is are in their early-mid 20’s.

https://twitter.com/leahfrombklyn/status/1632746242575945730

2 Likes

They’re doing it 2-3 days a week. One person is directly quoted as saying he wouldn’t do it for a five-days-a-week job.

If your choices were to live closer and go into the office every day or do a hybrid plan with a super-commute a couple of days a week from a cheaper yet larger home a couple of hours away, maybe the trade-off looks closer.

1 Like

In addition to this, a two hour commute to NYC may well take place entirely on public transit especially trains. Which isnt always the best, but you can make the trip diverting by reading, watching movies etc. Hell some of the trains sell booze. It’s not doomed to be the soul sucking waste of life that driving is.

3 Likes

At least one person in the article is stated to use a combination of trains and subway.