The Great Resignation: Remote workplaces and the future of work

My job is in client services, so it’s basically impossible to lead a team with that schedule. Essentially it will limit opportunities for advancement.

Oh no

5 Likes

You might enjoy some of the stuff on r/antiwork. Kids aren’t falling for the abusive shit that employers are used to getting away with anymore.

I love antiwork

Got one of my replies last week to hit 17.5K likes. Good times. Fu old boss

1 Like

This is so good thanks

1 Like

Something good came out of the pandemic.

https://twitter.com/JudgeFergusonTX/status/1623668045104431106?t=tlqD8DJgtrUJm7W-ojto5g&s=19

8 Likes

https://twitter.com/aWildSalem/status/1623737287644270594

Guessing this is about fake job applicants getting jobs and swapping someone else who does the work.

Video applications are a whole thing in recruitment now. You get close go interview level information on the person (allegedly) with less work by the recruiting team and hiring manager.

Of course. Applicants fucking hate it.

The recruiters tried this at my work and I had to stop it after a couple of weeks because we saw a 70% drop off in candidates even completing that stage.

Which should have been obvious, because they can just go work for any of the 5 other companies hiring for the same job that dont make them leap through hoops.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2023/02/21/four-day-work-week-results-uk/

I work from home but I’d make the trade of coming in the office for 2 days if they lowered the workweek to 4 days

Dozens of companies there took part in the world’s largest trial of the four-day workweek — and a majority of supervisors and employees liked it so much they’ve decided to keep the arrangement. In fact, 15 percent of the employees who participated said “no amount of money” would convince them to go back to working five days a week.

Nearly 3,000 employees took part in the pilot, which was organized by the advocacy group, 4 Day Week Global, in collaboration with the research group, Autonomy, and researchers at Boston College and the University of Cambridge.

Companies that participated could adopt different methods to “meaningfully” shorten their employees’ workweeks — from giving them one day a week off to reducing their working days in a year to average out to 32 hours per week — but had to ensure the employees still received 100 percent of their pay.

This is literally the worst thing that has ever happened to any workers anywhere.

Our production plant workers recently went to 4 day 10 hour shifts with Friday being an occasional/possible overtime day. Even with the extra 2 hours a day I would still love to get on that, I did it when I was young and it’s so much better than your standard 5 day week. Obviously 4 day 32 hour weeks would be even better but that isn’t happening anytime soon.

4 tens will be come 4 tens + Friday pretty easily.

2 Likes

Almost everyone I know who goes into an office is there for more than 8 hours- either going in early, staying late or both. Even if a person got into the office at 7 they might still feel pressure to stay until 5 because toxic office culture says that anyone who leaves before 5 is lazy and a slacker. So yeah 4 10s is a huge victory for workers imo

I keep track of my time at work with a gps time tracking app. If I’m the first person at work I want to get paid to open the front door and turn on the lights, and if my boss stops me on the way out and asks me what my plans are for the weekend I’m getting paid for that time too.

3 Likes

I’m taking serious delight in the decline of companies with god awful cultures like Netflix and Amazon.

https://localtoday.news/wa/seattle-mayor-praises-amazons-back-to-office-policy-in-state-of-the-city-speech-5-198322.html

They really want it to be one way. … Sadly, it mostly is.

There’s a power struggle and the only weapon workers really have is a willingness to shrink the economy through a reduction in labor and consumption.

1 Like

My wife started a new job this week and unfortunately, it is not work from home. She had been working from home since the pandemic started, so it’s a shock to the system (especially because she has to get up a lot earlier).

She really wanted a job where she could stay home, but her employment situation has been rocky the last few years (no fault of her own) and she decided it was safer to take this position over another offer that was 100% WFH. It’s also a pretty long commute, but fortunately, they are moving a little closer in the next few months. She’ll also get one WFH a week after six months and the boss said she can always WFH on occasion if she needs to.

She’s looking forward to the job, though, just not the drive.

1 Like