The Great Resignation: Remote workplaces and the future of work

I absolutely don’t miss the banal elevator exchanges and awkward half-smile when you pass the same person in the hall for the 3rd time.

I choose to think of my job as being on retainer. I’m available. Having me there to work when stuff comes up is efficient for the company. I don’t have to find nonsense to do if there’s nothing to do.

3 Likes

I miss the office. I’ve always enjoyed my colleagues and teammates. But if it’s a choice between full time office or full time WFH it’s not even close. I’d like to be able to go to the office once a week or a couple of time per month but it makes no sense for a company to rent office space for that.

I always have something I could be working on. Like if I wanted to work 12 hours a day I could do it easily.

1 Like

Same here but it’s shit literally no one cares if I finish or not. It’s for my own growth, or possibly I come up with some cool solution to a problem we didn’t know we have. I struggle to get motivated for that kind of stuff.

I am a big, big believer in the 80/20 rule as a guiding philosophy. I really do think that 80% of my value at work is produced by 20% of what I do. I eventually learned that means that I can actually just do the 20% for long stretches of time and everyone’s happy, I still get paid and the relatively important stuff gets done.

6 Likes

My work has settled on one or two days per week in the office. The rest from home. It’s up to you how many days or even if you come in.

It works pretty well.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/1532126865032458247

really starting to see clearly why everyone hates Elon Musk.

1 Like

Tesla software division is going to lose a lot of people fast if they follow through on this. I know our recruitment partner is actively headhunting people from companies that are not flexible around working from home.

3 Likes

Not to mention that whole Twitter deal. They already committed to WFH “forever”.

1 Like

The next evolution is WFH will be companies requiring you to have a dedicated home office with a camera that they can access to remotely check in on you whenever they want without you knowing.

Easiest “I quit” ever. I’d rather drive into the office every day.

So a long time ago I did some exploration about WFH for a company I was working for. The packages that the execs wanted and what was offered to us by companies was to have key loggers that would send a warning if a key wasn’t pressed every 15 minutes or so and company access to webcam and mic. The C suite directly shot down proposals I had with less surveillance for all ‘back in my day’ and ‘whatabout’ reasons you’d expect.

Long way around to say crazy surveillance was more of the standard for work from home workers for a long time and it’s only relatively recently that less surveillance options have become more mainstream, at least in my experience.

1 Like

This overreliance on surveillance shows how toxic the employer-employee relationship is in American corporations.

If you have a healthy working relationship, you should be able to trust your workers to do their job. But employers are so focused on fucking over employees that they think that employees are always conspiring to fuck employers over in various ways in response.

I mean the type of surveillance in ggoreo’s article doesn’t warrant a “I’d rather work at the office” response. It’s a “Fuck you. I quit.” response.

Meanwhile Jeffrey Toobin jacks off on a Zoom and suffers zero consequences

1 Like

+1 to quitting that job right away. The main reason I prefer wfh is because I hate the feeling of getting micromanaged/babysat all day in the office

1 Like

everytime i see him on cnn I fall about laughing making stupid jokes like ‘make sure you can see his hands Brianna’.

Move mouse for the mfw