The Great Resignation: Remote workplaces and the future of work

My company went full remote in like August 2021 so yup, been WFH since a little before then. And I am actually wearing pants right now, albeit SWEATpants still pants! :laughing:

I would probably ask the recruiter what is appropriate. Granted this almost never comes up for me since I work in the tech space where you’d probably get knocked down for wearing a tie to a remote interview. I think there was one company I passed the first round phone interview only to be told they wore a tie in the office everyday, so I noped the hell out of the onsite real quick.

Are sweatpants pants?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

1 Like

Sweatpants are trousers.

Pants are things you have to wear to be presentable and responsible. Sweats don’t count, even in pants is in the name sometimes.

I am unmoved by your appeal to authority of random screenshot. I know in my gut what pants are and what pants aren’t. Or aren’t pants. Or something.

I state confidently that you are much more presentable in sweat pants than without.

2 Likes

People getting paid their market value apparently is the driver of inflation. What moron reads this shit.

The only way to not screw up the economy is to keep shoveling money to the very richest people.

1 Like

We can’t expect them to do with anything less than three vacations homes. I mean, the economy will just stop functioning otherwise.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/LHSummers/status/1514195952713752577

John Maynard Keynes argued that a hot economy raises prices more than wages because the former adjust more frequently than the latter. This may be a good description of what happened in the 1960s. Inflation started to rise in 1965 but nominal wage growth didn’t appreciably pick up until 1967, leading to a large decline in inflation-adjusted wages. This may also describe what has happened in the U.S. economy in the past year, especially for middle- and upper-income, workers whose wages are stickier because they are generally adjusted only annually.

Do I read this correctly? Flight attendants do not get paid for the time during boarding when the wrk their asses off dealing with baggage in bins and kissing first class ass?

And now They want a metal for paying them half rate during the boarding process?

What does a fight attendant even make?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna26042

Forbes says a first-year flight attendant makes $32.20 an hour, yet the hourly boarding pay rate is $16.10 per hour. For a ten-year veteran earning $59.66 an hour, the boarding rate is $29.83.

https://simpleflying.com/delta-air-lines-pay-crew-boarding/

Pretty absurd that they don’t/didn’t get paid for the work they do when the plane isn’t in flight.

1 Like

I didn’t click the link, but it sounds like the article was written by someone who thought dividing by two was a complex thing to wrap one’s head around.

“everyone should go back to work because I have weird dementia symptoms!”

5 Likes

Sounds less like dementia and more like a normal human being.

1 Like

The thing is, this isn’t even totally untrue, but in the office this would just be replaced by things like standing around the water cooler, taking a 20 minute shit, walking around with papers in hand trying to look angrily busy, etc. Let people waste the same fucking amount of work time, but not waste the extra time and gas driving to and from the office.

6 Likes

I’ve been thinking about this some more since and exchange we had in the LC thread (I think). Cliffs: I’m a weirdo who misses the human contact. 2 days/week with not a crazy commute would probably be ideal for me.

I don’t know if it’s that weird though. Many of us will spend something like 35% of our waking adult lives working. I think it makes sense to want that time to be as fulfilling as possible, if you’re lucky enough to be able to do so.

Didn’t we always hear growing up, “Make a living doing what you love, and it won’t feel like work”? I genuinely like programming. It gets me into flow state where hours fly by and it doesn’t feel like work. After working every shit job in my youth I still can’t believe I get paid many multiples of that to solve puzzles all day. I also really like the team aspect of it - building something cool together. I’m not nearly as motivated by lone-wolf type projects.

Imagine a professional baseball player, and you tell them they can play virtually from now on form the comfort of their home. No need to come in to the ballpark. Only see your teammates over Zoom, make the exact same money. Some might go for that. But I have a feeling most wouldn’t like it. Because they love what they do, and the team aspect is a big part of that.

Also it bums me out that I used to cherish wfh days so much and now I just feel like Groundhog Day every day. I’ve always been someone who needs a change of scenery. I guess that’s why I walk all over LA now. I have to get out of the house. And that’s not a bad thing so I dunno.

Obviously I’m not saying force everyone back into the office. I know for many working from home is a dream and the office is miserable. I’m just saying if I had the prospect of taking two identical jobs - one fully remote, and one with a mild commute where we go in 2-3 days/week, I’d probably take the latter. Maybe in the future companies will split into two types.

2 Likes