The Great Resignation: Remote workplaces and the future of work

You’re willing to fly home mid-vacation, be on call 52/24/7, and punch a clock while not getting paid OT for $75k/year?

I’ve been through some pretty shitty labor markets and been out of work for 2.5 years at one point, but aint no way I’m putting up with that shit regardless without them passing me the sugar.

You’re a dyed-in-the-wool Democrat, though, it’s part of your nature to gristle against all the ways our lives suck but fundamentally misunderstand the causes.

1 Like

50k + standard benefits would be fine. This is all hypothetical though because I’m unemployable for any white collar job.

Don’t take this the wrong way, but are you extremely socially awkward or something? Can you apply to be a teacher? You should not be having any trouble getting a $50k a year job.

I did apply to be a substitute teacher. I finished the paperwork, spent $200 or so on licenses, then they never called me in to work. I am extremely socially awkward.

Sounds like when I worked in the mail room at Sprint. Made any job where I get to think and don’t have to kill time a dream.

What kind of engineering degree do you have? I worked with a lot of civil, mech, structural, and electrical engineers in my previous job and a good 20% of them were socially awkward / on the spectrum.

BS Civil MS Environmental

I think if you were honest and said something like in a good engineer that does guys work but I’m socially awkward so maybe don’t put me in front of clients, I think you’d be okay.

Especially in this market. All of the firms in my area are hiring like crazy.

1 Like

I have a 10 year resume gap. Most firms would rather burn the place down than hire me, figuring I might do it while everyone was inside.

Have you applied lately? Not degrading your skills or anything here, but firms are desperate for bodies.

No, I have not applied lately.

If you can draw in cad and Revit*, I think it’s a lock somebody hires you.

*Not sure if civil uses Revit.

Turnover always costs money. I don’t care how many resumes you have. Even if someone has the skills to do the job on paper, it takes a while for that person to become just as efficient as someone already working there and understand how the system works. It’s a terrible business decision to lose someone over trivial shit. On the other hand, you can’t just bend the rules willy nilly either. There is some judgement required in these matters and in a lot of places the people making these decisions have terrible judgement.

Edit: I hadn’t seen Riverman’s post when I responded, but basically this:

I took a couple CC classes on Autocad. I wasn’t any good at it and have since forgotten everything.

This is true.

What’s also true is EVERYONE thinks they are good at their job and hugely valuable to the organization. Even when they aren’t.

So a bunch of people who suck at their jobs would also describe work in the same way.

1 Like

Fuck, man. I had a line on the perfect job for you. Chicago, right? It was a while ago, though. Pre-COVID. So if you weren’t in the market at that point, I guess it’s moot.

If I come across something else, I’ll PM you.

My job before this one, I did nothing most of the day for my last couple of years. I volunteered to help with other areas and in other groups, but nobody took me up on it. Eventually I started showing up around 10 and leaving at 3 while taking 90 minutes for lunch most days and nobody cared. I knew I wasn’t contributing much, but what the hell I tried… In any case, I still think I contributed more than most!

1 Like

Don’t you hang out at bars/restaurants and carry on conversations with servers that you’re close enough with that you can ask about all sorts of stuff? I don’t think you’re as socially awkward as you think. Probably everyone else is more socially awkward than you think.

I stopped doing that because I realized I was harassing them.