The Great Resignation: Remote workplaces and the future of work

I genuinely don’t like my co-workers and have never spent any time doing anything with them that wasn’t for work.

Another 32 minutes gone.

I was thinking of making a post about this column too. The stories always seemed crazy to me. Like if I was somehow commuting from central PA to NYC, I can’t imagine how I wouldn’t either find a closer job (even if it meant a substantial pay cut) or moving to NY/NJ (even if it meant a much smaller place).

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve got a coworker with a pair of girls a little older than mine, and she joked that once she had kids, Monday morning was the new Friday night.

2 Likes

My job at directv - we went out and socialized together all the time, went to people’s weddings, etc. I still hang out with them occasionally even though I haven’t worked there since 2017. We were definitely like a family. Most of the time it didn’t even feel like going in to work, just going to hang out and work on cool stuff with your friends.

But that’s the only job I’ve had like that. I know it’s not the norm.

Looking back, most of my friends are from current or former jobs. I even met my wife through work friends.

That’s more a function of my general preference to not be around people than anything else, though.

I still have friends that I see regularly that date back to jobs I left in 1988, 1996 (married to one of them!), and 2013. Pretty sure the same thing wouldn’t happen at jobs that are primarily remote, but that’s ok as there are other ways to meet friends.

1 Like

Goddamnit.

3 Likes

I would drive 64 minutes a day for that

4 Likes

Looks like Good Times were had.

2 Likes

My company really cares!!!

1 Like

https://twitter.com/chris_herd/status/1432239969633021952

Dual monitors is high culture

6 Likes

That’s literally my cubicle except no printer and better chair that I absconded from a manager who quit.

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1433603162045362177

1 Like

Whats up with cubicles? Ive literally never seen that in Aus, Philippines or UK. Always just open plan. Maybe with dividers between desks if in a call centre.

1 Like

I’ve only briefly had to work at one, but aren’t cubicles way better than large open concept offices?

I am permanently work from home in my role, for over a decade. There was a meeting this week where they announced vaccine mandates and a January return to work date. There’s one dude on my team from Texas who doesn’t want to get the vax, because he “had covid”. 28 year employee. I suspect he caves eventually.

I’d be shocked if millennials don’t quit in droves once the middle manager busybodies mandate return to office. Our generation has no illusions about being part of any kind of larger purpose at work, and it’s quite obvious the only reason to go back is to appease Lumberghs who want to look productive.

2 Likes

I’d argue that the team I am on has never been closer with WFH. We are in a permanent zoom meeting that allows us to collaborate and swarm issues as needed. We come in an out as needed. But the head of our division is definitely a boomer in the office camp. In fact he was the same guy who ended the WFH progam for our division. Anyone within 50 miles of an office had to come back in to the office. I am like 6 hrs away from the nearest office so I am exempt. Old school mentality in a company that is supposed to pride innovation is rediculous. There’s been plenty of innovation in the last year and a half.

2 Likes