The Great Resignation: Remote workplaces and the future of work

They seem to be doing a fine job of eliminating themselves.

2 Likes

[NotBruceZ]
Not fine enough.
[/NotBruceZ]

3 Likes

When I first worked in Japan I had a three-hour round trip commute (with two transfers) on a jam-packed train to a shitty office for a shitty salary.

Used to ride the same car with the same old man at the end of his career who looked like heā€™d been making the same torturous commute for 40 years.

Had a big influence on me deciding to eliminate any and all waste of my precious time commuting and find a way to work from home.

I did, and have never looked back.

4 Likes

Not in the Chennai case. They took shuttles. The city has zero infrastructure. The traffic is surreal.

Which is why everyone in LA has a nice car. You spend so much time in it your better be comfy.

This is key. My commute in LA was about 50 minutes, but mostly mellow freeway, even in slow and go traffic.

My boss OTOH took Olympic the entire way from Westwood to Pasadena because it was faster than the 10 freeway. I did part of that drive once and it was so stressful - like LeMans with everyone darting back and forth across three lanes.

Yep. Living in the burbs working in NY. Lots do it. Mornings were OK generally (slept on the train most days) but at night you just wanted to get home.

Suburb of what city?

NYC. Iā€™m in CT. 15 mins drive to station, 70-85 min train ride, 20-30 min subway ride. Have colleagues from upstate NY, Long Island & NJ who have somewhat similar.

Edit to add - Yeah I guess technically itā€™s not considered suburbs but hey whatevs it ticks off a lot of suburb boxes.

Hehe, I was just being snarky - apologies.

amNY used to have an ā€œExtreme Commuterā€ series which was some of the most fascinating newspaper content Iā€™ve ever seen. I just couldnā€™t even imagine doing something like that - Iā€™d get frustrated enough when my single-train commuted dragged from 60 mins to 70 or 75.

Denadjae Combs doesnā€™t mind a hectic work travel schedule that can take her to four different places across the country in about a monthā€™s time.

What does wear on the event plannerā€™s patience is her 2Ā½ hour commute each way between her familyā€™s Bayside home and her companyā€™s East Norwalk, Conn., headquarters.

ā€œItā€™s exhausting,ā€ said Combs, 25. ā€œI get home at night and all I want to do is collapse and go to bed. In the morning I have to peel myself out of my bed.ā€ For more than two years, Combs has taken a bus, the No. 7 train and a Metro-North train to get to and from work. She leaves her home at 6:45 a.m. to get into work at 9:15 a.m., and then leaves the office at 6:30 p.m. to return home at 9 p.m.

Bad weather, track work or 7 train delays can make the already long treks unbearable, Combs said.

ā€œThose are the days when I go home and Iā€™m like why the hell am I doing this?ā€ she said.

On the positive side, Combs said that her commute allows her to read the newspaper daily to keep up on current events.

Her commute, though, may get even tougher. Her company is considering a move that would make it difficult to walk there from the Metro-North stop.

ā€œIā€™m at my threshold at this point,ā€ Combs said. ā€œI pretty much will say I will not add a fourth leg to my commute. Itā€™s just not going to happen.ā€

She said she is already missing out on enough.

ā€œMy friends are hanging out and doing stuff together and Iā€™m going home,ā€ Combs said. ā€œTheyā€™re like, ā€˜Youā€™re crazy. ā€¦ Get a job in the city like the rest of us.ā€™

1 Like

Think of all the books you can read instead of driving 5 hours a week because some rich bitch canā€™t or wonā€™t adapt

We have gone from 10 accountants to 7 in about 5 weeks because people wonā€™t stand for it anymore and there are better opportunities out there.

2 Likes

WTF how is this real:

1 Like

My BILā€™s company lost like 20% of the workforce in the last month after mandating back to the office. When he quit they offered him more money, he countered with ā€œno, work from homeā€ and they acted all shocked and offended at which point he basically laughed and said yeah Iā€™m still quitting.

Bosses just donā€™t get it yet, I donā€™t think.

Relevant / good New Yorker on commuting:

Jesus. Spending literally all of your time either working, commuting or sleeping five days a week doesnā€™t sound like any kind of life to me. Iā€™d need seven figures to even consider it, and even then I doubt Iā€™d last a year.

One of my clients just lost their fermentation lead in Emeryville (Oakland) to a company in South San Francisco. No way she takes that job if itā€™s a five day a week commute. She will be remote and just go in when needed.

Reading this thread has me trying to figure out what a work friend is. I know Iā€™m a miserable asshole most of the time and being at work magnifies that, but do these people actually like each other? Like would they spend time together if they got different jobs and no longer worked together? How do you know the other people in your work friend group donā€™t just tolerate you because they have to?

I understand that the social part of work is good for me for the most part, but I have it now where I work with a different mix of people every couple weeks. I definitely get to the point where I canā€™t stand people if I have to see them every work day for a month, so this works for me.

1 Like

I genuinely like my co-workers and have never spent any time doing anything with them that wasnā€™t for work.

1 Like

When you have a bunch of little kids, going out to lunch w co-workers is sometimes the extent of your social life. At least that was my experience.

4 Likes

Itā€™s surprisingly easy to get into a routine. Not sure whats going to happen when the owner starts making noises about people going back. No one wants too but it is advantageous most of time to have some people in the office. Itā€™ll probably come down to some hybrid model. Iā€™m gonna fight like hell not to come back but ultimately the industry Iā€™m in doesnā€™t really exist outside of a couple major hubs so itā€™ll probably be suck it up for a few more years or start something completely different with significantly less money. Luckily the second option isnā€™t a complete deal breaker as Iā€™ll be retiring in half a dozen years or so anyway. The wife will be a bit pissed tho.

Enjoy every moment

5 Likes