The Great Resignation: Remote workplaces and the future of work

Been working from home almost exclusively since the beginning of the functional Internet–around 2001.

After two decades of WFH, don’t think I’d be capable of working at an office at this point, and there’s probably no dollar amount for which I’d be willing to do so.

I’ve been WFH since 2016. I’m never ever going back.

1 Like

I feel like the odd person out when it comes to this stuff, I hated WFH. I wouldn’t have guessed it before hand, but I get a lot from being in an office where I get to interact with coworkers.

2 Likes

… Guys I think we found the extrovert.

3 Likes

When I have regular travel for consulting it’s a good balance for me. Strict WFH is a grind.

2 Likes

I will absolutely never work in an office ever again. Completely non-negotiable.

3 Likes

Same, WFH sucked. I only have a 5 minute commute though. If it were 45 or something like that, I might feel differently.

1 Like

My position has always been remote, and my counterparts basically never come into HQ more than a couple times a year. But I still went in 3x/week for the free gym (complete with a good rack), the social aspect, and so I could learn things from R&D and such about how to do my job better than no one bothered telling me or my team (and I could pass this off to them). It was pretty useful, and if I still lived in the area, I’d probably go back. Having a great house in a good school district is way better than that, though, so buh bye Bay.

This is a good stance, I think that if you are at all wishy washy about it then people will offer you a job with promises of flexibility in exchange for your agreement to work in the office when it’s “absolutely necessary” and then they will gradually let you know after you’ve started that it’s absolutely necessary 9/10 days.

The main draw for me to go to the office is that I organized various parts of my life around it, including my gym but also my doctor, my dentist, my optometrist, etc etc etc are all in the Toronto financial district. So I used to go downtown to attend some meetings in person, sure, but also just to get some shit done. Between meeting I’d get a hair cut, work out at the gym, cover off some important appointments, etc etc etc.

1 Like

Same here, and I’m kind of an introvert. Not having kids obviously makes a big difference. Also liking your coworkers.

Im WFH now and I love it. I could see training for a new job being tougher WFH and being merit to being in the office for that. But unless its a hospitality type job theres no reason to be in the office. Its pretty close to non negotiable for any future jobs i get to be largely WFH.

There’s quite literally no benefits to being in office that i can see really. I think it just amplifies work ethic and people who worked hard in office will do so out of office, slackers who found ways to bullshit around will do more so out of office. So its not an employee issue its a poor talent identification issue if thats the problem.

like only reasons ive ever liked being in the office is for social life reasons and or for eye candy, neither of which contributes to productivity in anyway. for people who want to be in the office its not because its for work its because they want to get the fuck away from whats at home instead. cant get yelled at for not doing something at home if you arent there all day.

1 Like

I feel I am more productive WFH overall, but I miss stealing lunches from the staffroom fridge.

4 Likes

I started working from home 3 days a week and I can’t imagine ever going back in for a full 5 days. The flexibility to do laundry, cook lunch, not smell burnt popcorn at 11:00 AM every single day from Karen is priceless.

3 Likes

id be willing to do a day or 2 every other week if its close by but thats about it. the option to go into office if there are outages/issues with my home setup is a valid point, but i have a lot of redundancies setup to account for that if need be.

I knew it was you!

I’ve been walking 2 miles to the gym every day around 4pm. It’s an amazing routine.

However there’s no way I would have been this productive in my 20s, 30s, probably even 40s. I worked from home full time and had nothing to do multiple times in my late 30s/early 40s. I was useless. I just partied all the time.

1 Like

Yeah. I used to work from hom back in late 2000s. Id just dial into my first meeting from bed and watch TV.

Although in hindsight i was mega depressed… so who knows.

Now im super productive. Putting in a bunch of extra hours on projects that im excited about.

lol wat

Yeah I’ve been climbing 3 days a week regularly now. Not being stuck in commute hell everyday makes me want to go to the gym.

1 Like